Security hazard log in my router
depark21
Enthusiast - Level 2

In my router under security hazard log , the following reads like this:

time, event _ firewall info...Event type=user authentication failure... Details: invalid username.username admin repeated 42 times.

Is this someone trying to access my router/network, ?? Obviously I have changed the default signon.

Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Security hazard log in my router
jmcguoirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

In a word... YES.

There are computers that crawl the internet looking for vulnerabilities. When they hit upon one they start to look for open ports and then attempt to exploit. As a residential user, this is typically not a problem.

Keep the default firewall settings on the router.

When bored... I take a look at my log and perform a WHOIS on the IP's attempting an attack. I've found that most are overseas.

Typically these attempts are to steal processing power not your individual files.

View solution in original post

Re: Security hazard log in my router
jmcguoirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

In a word... YES.

There are computers that crawl the internet looking for vulnerabilities. When they hit upon one they start to look for open ports and then attempt to exploit. As a residential user, this is typically not a problem.

Keep the default firewall settings on the router.

When bored... I take a look at my log and perform a WHOIS on the IP's attempting an attack. I've found that most are overseas.

Typically these attempts are to steal processing power not your individual files.