Slow, Slow, Slow
Taftster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just received the 1.9 "upgrade" in the Baltimore area.  Absolutely terrible.

I used to be able to enter the guide and scroll through the channel choices very quickly just by holding the up/down buttons on the remote.  Now, it takes a solid 2-3 seconds per channel listing when holding down.  I'm not talking about changing channels, just scrolling through the guide entries takes literally a few seconds each.

With 300-400 channels, there is now no quick way to move between them (unless you have memorized your favorite channel numbers).  This is a significant step backwards in usability.  A complete disaster.

Anyone having the same experience?  It seems multiple people are reporting overall slowness with the new interface.  Any suggestions to improve performance?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow, Slow, Slow
Justin46
Legend

@Taftster wrote:

I just looked at my STB model.  I have a Motorola QIP 2500-3.

Might this be what's causing the problems?

Thanks in advance.

OK, well, unfortunately you have a problem. The 2500-3 is an SD STB, and while it will "run" 1.9, my understanding is that it will be very slow, as you are seeing (I got rid of my 2500 STBs early this year, before I got 1.9, so I have no personal experience). Verizon has no replacement, upgraded SD STBs, they only provide HD STBs now (and besides, there never was a newer SD STB than the 2500-3). The focus now is exclusively on HD.

It appears to me that your options are to replace that SD STB with an HD one, or live with what you have. All of the HD STBs support SD TV attachment, so the new box would work with your SD TV. But the HD boxes are more expensive per month than the SD ones, except in NY from what I understand. I suggest you go to MyVerizon and see what it would cost you to upgrade to an HD STB for wherever you are located.

I have two SD TVs attached to HD STBs and they work just fine. One benefit is that you can also watch any of the HD channels you are subscribed to, such as HDNet and HDNet Movies, even though you have an SD TV.

That is really all I can think of as your options.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

@Taftster wrote:

Just received the 1.9 "upgrade" in the Baltimore area.  Absolutely terrible.

I used to be able to enter the guide and scroll through the channel choices very quickly just by holding the up/down buttons on the remote.  Now, it takes a solid 2-3 seconds per channel listing when holding down.  I'm not talking about changing channels, just scrolling through the guide entries takes literally a few seconds each.

With 300-400 channels, there is now no quick way to move between them (unless you have memorized your favorite channel numbers).  This is a significant step backwards in usability.  A complete disaster.

Anyone having the same experience?  It seems multiple people are reporting overall slowness with the new interface.  Any suggestions to improve performance?

You must have 6xxx STBs, they are very slow with 1.9 and do not display the Guide in HD either. You need to contact Verizon and request 7xxx replacements.

I have a 7232 with 1.9 and I can scroll through the list so fast I cannot really even read the channel numbers.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

Taftster, when the new guide came out, it was still doing what it was supposed to and it wasn't slow at all on my TV because I have the 7100 model of the STB.  But it was hard on my eyes and particularly on the main menu, the colors would bleed into each other and look fuzzy, which was becoming annoying just to look at every time.  My TV was analog with limited resolution so the solution, in my case, was to replace it with a flat screen and now it's a whole lot better.  I was hoping I could keep my analog TV longer since I only had it for 6 years.  I thought that was a shame but what was I going to do? 

It was just unfortunate that many of us were never informed about this, nor were we given any tips to resolve any isues with the new display because sometimes, I can be poor with understanding electronics.  I usually find though, that it's often a process of elimination when troubleshooting a problem.

0 Likes
munkeephun
Enthusiast - Level 2

My STB is a 7100 and it is slow slow slow now too. This "upgrade" is terrible!

0 Likes
Taftster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Taftster wrote:

Thanks in advance.

OK, well, unfortunately you have a problem. The 2500-3 is an SD STB, and while it will "run" 1.9, my understanding is that it will be very slow, as you are seeing (I got rid of my 2500 STBs early this year, before I got 1.9, so I have no personal experience). Verizon has no replacement, upgraded SD STBs, they only provide HD STBs now (and besides, there never was a newer SD STB than the 2500-3). The focus now is exclusively on HD.

It appears to me that your options are to replace that SD STB with an HD one, or live with what you have. All of the HD STBs support SD TV attachment, so the new box would work with your SD TV. But the HD boxes are more expensive per month than the SD ones, except in NY from what I understand. I suggest you go to MyVerizon and see what it would cost you to upgrade to an HD STB for wherever you are located.

I have two SD TVs attached to HD STBs and they work just fine. One benefit is that you can also watch any of the HD channels you are subscribed to, such as HDNet and HDNet Movies, even though you have an SD TV.

That is really all I can think of as your options.

Keller, TX 76248

Taftster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks and kudos to you Justin.

0 Likes
J_Steve1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this same problem (and I'm also from Baltimore coincidentally).  It's absurdly annoying, the guide is nigh unusable now.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I agree with Justin. I had QIP-2500 P3s last year with 1.8 and even some menus were a bit lagging. Put 1.9 in the box and I would not stand for it. IMO.

0 Likes
timncat2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am in the York,PA area and I have had my speed 7-15Mbps maybe 3 days since I had my DSL. It is running between 1.09 - 3.25Mbps download all the time. I get a call saying it is fixed and I check it and I have 11Mbps but later that night I have to use my one computer with dial up to get through the internet. I don't stream movies and I only download programs or software. Last night and this morning I am at 1.09Mbps download. I know it will be slower due to people watching movies over the internet but there has got to be a way to boost the system so we all don't suffer such slow speeds. We are suppose to have dedicated lines unlike Comcast, where all your neighbors are sharing the same lines. I believe we all share the lines as well. I have had technicians get on my computer and check things to see why I am slow. They seem to believe it is my computer. The problem with that is I have 4 computers,which only one is on at a time. I have Windows 7 on one, Vista on one and XP on another as well as Windows 7 on my laptop. Now, when I test I try it with all but the laptop and the speed is the same, 1.09Mbps. If er are not sharing lines like Comcast, then why the very slow speed? To make sure it is not my router, I setup 2 others and got the same slow speeds. I have 3 phone lines coming into the house which are new installs. One is downstairs and one is upstairs and the other is my DSL line. Now there are no phones connected upstairs so that is not part of the problem. I have a filter on my phone line downstairs but not on the DSL line. I live 3 blocks from the hub which should help but don't. So, if anyone finds a solution please let me know.

0 Likes