Western Digital My book live 3TB hard drive and FIOS router do not work...
dandman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got a WD my book live hard drive and have not been able to get it to work with FIOS router. when i plug in the ethernet cable from the hard drive to the router the router LAN light does not even come on. Have tried it on every LAN port and nothing. Someone told me to check the universal plug and play setting to make sure it was enabled and disable the IGMP proxy setting (via hidden link) and have dont tha without any success.

i have the mi424wr fios router

I dont know what else i need to do to configure the router in order to have it recognize the hard drive. Would greatly appreciate any tips and assistance with this issue.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Western Digital My book live 3TB hard drive and FIOS router do not work...
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.

First of all, make sure you're using one of the four LAN ports on the router.  The WAN port can't be used to connect to user equipment.

If the LAN light doesn't come on, the problem isn't with a router setting.  The  lights on the router's Ethernet connector and the front panel indicate basic connectivity.

At this point, you should first try a different Ethernet cable. If a different cable doesn't cause the lights to come on it is most likely a problem with the Ethernet ports in either the WD drive or the router.

The next step is to try connecting the router to a different Ethernet device, such as a laptop.  Again, check for lights at both ends.  If none light, this suggests a problem with the router.  If the lights come on, they you know you have a good cable and a good router.  In that case, the problem is with the WD drive.

As a final check, plug both ends of one Ethernet cable into two different LAN ports on the router.  Both should light up.  Try with more than one cable if the first doesn't work.  If more than one cable fails, you either have a lot of bad cables or bad router.  Be sure to unplug this cable when done, as a looped Ethernet cable can cause protocol issues over time.

If it is a bad router, you'll need to contact Verizon to get a replacement.

Good Luck.

dandman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the reply gs0b.

I verified that the ethernet cable works by connecting my ps3 as well as a laptop directly to the LAN ethernet port and in both instances the lights came on as expected. I also tried connecting the Drive ethernet cable directly to the laptop and the lights on the laptop came on indicating a connection and my laptop was able to recognize the drive and the drive lights indicated that it was making a connection but cannot complete the setup as its looking for a LAN network.

when i connect the WD drive ethernect cable to the router LAN ethernet ports 1-5 there are were no lights on the router as it seems that it does not recognize that there is something plugged in.  its able to recognize everything else except the WD drive. and cannot access the drive directly as it needs a LAN connection to access the settings.

If there are no other router configurations that i  should try then i will see about getting a verizon router replaced to see if that helps.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dandman wrote:
when i connect the WD drive ethernect cable to the router LAN ethernet ports 1-5 there are were no lights on the router as it seems that it does not recognize that there is something plugged in.  its able to recognize everything else except the WD drive. and cannot access the drive directly as it needs a LAN connection to access the settings.

The Actiontec routers have *FOUR* LAN ports and *ONE* WAN port.  Make sure you're using the LAN ports; they should be yellow.  The different color port is for the WAN and should either be connected directly to the ONT or left unused depending on your particular FiOS installation.

If you got the LAN ports on the router to light up with the PS3 and laptop, then there is most likely a problem with the drive.

There are no settings in the router to control the Ethernet switch that drives the LAN ports.  It's always on.

The only other issue I can think of is a problem with 100Mbps vs 1Gbps Ethernet.  I'm assuming that  the drive is 1G.  If you have an older router, it is 100Mbps only.  If your Ethernet cables have only two wire pairs, they will only run at 100Mbps.  There could be some wired combination of cable and ports that is preventing the drive and the router from establishing a link.

If you can get you hands on a 1Gbps Ethernet swtich, that can help with debugging.

What version of the router do you have?  If it's the Rev I it has a red front panel bezel and supports 1Gbps and 802.11b/n.  Older routers are black, 100Mbps Ethernet and 802.11g.

Good Luck.

TheShawnster
Enthusiast - Level 1

The good news is that using the Actiontec MI24WR Router, and an ethernet cable plugged into  the #1 Lan outlet, my WD 2TB Cloud Drive works perfectly.

You mention hooking a number of other devices to the router, but you don't mention whether you used the same Ethernet cable each time, or if you hooked them up using other cables. I don't think you are stupid, but I mention this because I have seen a lot of people make simple mistakes that caused a great deal of confusion and frustration.

If you have ruled out the cable for certain, and still don't see the light flashing for the Lan connection you choose, then I recommend troubleshooting your drive at the Western Digital website.

Best of luck!

dandman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, used the same ethernet cable to test the LAN connection with the ps3 and the drive. i did make sure of that even though i was fighting with this until 4am.  Curious. did you have to do any router configuration changes in order for your WD drive to work with the actiontec router or did the router recognize it immediately as you plugged in the drive ethernet cable?

i am starting to think it might be the drive as well. will check with the WD site.

thanks

@TheShawnster wrote:

The good news is that using the Actiontec MI24WR Router, and an ethernet cable plugged into  the #1 Lan outlet, my WD 2TB Cloud Drive works perfectly.

You mention hooking a number of other devices to the router, but you don't mention whether you used the same Ethernet cable each time, or if you hooked them up using other cables. I don't think you are stupid, but I mention this because I have seen a lot of people make simple mistakes that caused a great deal of confusion and frustration.

If you have ruled out the cable for certain, and still don't see the light flashing for the Lan connection you choose, then I recommend troubleshooting your drive at the Western Digital website.

Best of luck!

0 Likes
dandman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry meant LAN ports 1-4. i will try to see if i can get a hold of a 1Gbps switch and test. I have the red bezel router.

will keep trying. THanks

0 Likes
quest2excel

Did this every work for you?

I have the exact same problem.

0 Likes