Wireless devices losing connectivity
stevis1

Recent convert to FiOS "Triple Play". Previous Cablevision customer using a Cisco router feeding many devices. Have successfully connected many devices to current (Verizon M1424WR) router.

PROBLEM: many devices (laptop, iTouch,iPad) persistently disconnect from router for no obvious reason. I have to reconnect through settings, or with the laptop, restart the machine. This never occurred with prior router or service.

Any similar experiences or suggestions??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Wireless devices losing connectivity
SPYER2311
Enthusiast - Level 2
Yes, My Aunt had FiOS for awhile, and she had the router you mentioned. It disconnects the devices from time to time. It is not a reliable router. Get a good reviewed router off of Amazon. They got good stuff. I got the "TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router" with DD-WRT firmware on it. It is a good router.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Additionally, you may not need it,

Login to the Verizon router, navigate to the wireless settings, and there are several wireless channels.

experiment with channel 1, 6 and 11 and see which works best for you. 

0 Likes
stevis1

Thanks, makes sense. I have a Wifi analyzer which shows channel 6  as one of the weaker, and 1 and 11 as stronger. I'm pretty good with poking around computers but can't figure out how to get access to router settings, either through my computer or FiOS website. Have an iMac. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

To access the router settings you have to do it in browser-

These are good instructions 

The Single Antenna/Black and Grey Router, password is the serial number of the router. It's found under the UPC bar code and it is case sensitive

The Dual Antenna/Black and Red Router, actually has the password printed on the router sticker and labeled as 'passowrd'

The username for both is 'admin'

0 Likes