# of wifi connectins
BobMilton
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had problems trying to connect more than a couple of devices via wifi. I suspect it's the old router that I have (about 5 years old at this point). Would getting a newer router help this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: # of wifi connectins
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@BobMilton wrote:

I've had problems trying to connect more than a couple of devices via wifi. I suspect it's the old router that I have (about 5 years old at this point). Would getting a newer router help this problem?

Is there a limit to the number of Wireless connections, that the Actiontec Wireless Router or Gatewa...

There is no limit on the number of wireless connections, but there is a limit to the amount of traffic or bandwidth that can pass through the Actiontec. It is good to keep in mind that each computer added to the network will reduce the bandwidth available to the existing network computers. It is recommended to limit the number of connections to 45, but this number can vary depending on the activities of the network computers. For example, downloading MP3s, ISOs, or other large files, require much more bandwidth than checking email or simple Web browsing. If the network is Hosting Web, FTP or Gaming severs the limit for the number of network connections may be much lower.

0 Likes
BobMilton
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, we had 1 iPad and 2 iPhones doing nothing in particular, and a second iPad was refused connection unitl one of the others logged off. So the limit here appears to be more like 3, not 45.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

not in my house.

Do you have fios or DSL ? 

maybe you should change your wifi channel, maybe you have interference. 

if you have fios then you can change that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage. http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

BobMilton
Enthusiast - Level 2

Switched to channel 11, and so far things are looking good. Will keep my eye on it, but hope this is the solution.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Interference is a big deal, I find it is the problem for 90% of people that are on wireless.     Now keep in mind it might be good on 11 for a long while, but if something changes, like you get a baby monitor, or a new cordless phone, or if you have neighbors that you can see when you pull up your wireless, if they get something like that, it can mess you up.  so keep the instructions handy, and change the channel as needed. 

0 Likes
BobMilton
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. Channel 11 has held fine for a few days now, so that is a cure for now. If it degrades, I'll try 6 or 1.