1 Gig Connection Not Working
Amythyst
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

We just had our services upgraded today to 1 gig.  The technician replaced all our hardware and we had to have an extender put in and a switch to get the service running.  

Our ethernet speeds are nowhere near 1 gig but Verizon keeps claiming that our router is receiving speed at 1 gig.

We have plugged the router connection directly into our laptop and the speed caps at 450/450.  Any of our ethernet connections are capping at 450/450.  

Could the router or the extender be capping our connection even though its receiving 1 gig?

0 Likes
Re: 1 Gig Connection Not Working
jonjones1
Legend

One gigabyte is 1024/1024 however because of device limitations Verizon Fios states speeds up to 940/870 or there about.

verizon only accepts their own proprietary network speed test.

https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

Not others like www.speedtest.net which are more real world numbers with loss hops, net congestion, over abundance of users at certain times. Etc.

the 450/450 is not gigabyte speeds. You would expect that speed from either a extender or over wifi again depending on the device used.

Call 1-800-VERIZON and have them first test the connection, then troubleshoot the slower speeds if that is found. If they find the router is malfunctioning they will give you a new one. Now it has only been 24 hours per your post so it is possible that you have not been provisioned correctly. It took them 3 days to get my speed up to par with their service claims. This may also be the issue.

additionally you can turn off the router, all computers and devices, and wait 10 minutes and then turn the router back on and wait for it to be fully operational. Then turn on your computers and any other devices on your home network one at a time and test the speed. Do this until all show the advertised speed. This should not be done as wifi. The devices on wifi if you select the router to the home test should should the speed.

the device speed tests again half or less when tested.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you used your laptop, did you take extra care to put it in airplane mode so that the wireless connection is not used? (That's Fn+2 [Function + 2] on a lot of laptops.) 450 Mbps is the maximum speed of 802.11n wireless networking, and the fact you are maxing  out at that exact number is at least a little suspicious.

Some laptops - once the wireless connection is established - don't automatically switch to using an ethernet connection if one is plugged in. I always turn off the wireless radio to force it to remap connections.

I don't have the "gigabit" service, but I've seen people who do have it posting screen shots of the speed tests or just reporting numbers in the mid 800 Mbps down by mid 700 Mbps up to the actual 940 Mbps down by mid to high 900 Mbps up

Amythyst
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes we had the wifi off.  W unplugged the Ethernet from the router and directly plugged it into the laptop and still only got 450/450.  The NIC on the laptop is gigabit compatible.

0 Likes
Amythyst
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have done all the things mentioned in the first response.  The technician gave us all new hardware today.  Verizon claims the router is getting the full speed.

if I use Verizon's speed test it's less than 450, it's like 200/200.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

In the case of your last response you are being lied to. There is no way Verizon Fios can claim your speed is getting gigabyte. 450/450 if it is the Verizon Fios branded router and you are using their https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

and are seeing those numbers then you are not getting Fios gigabyte speed.

940/870 is what Verizon claims for their gigabyte speed. Actual gigabyte is 1024/1024 in perfect conditions. If you live in NY State call the NYS public service commission.

in fact in most states they have government offices that can force Verizon to fix that poor install.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using a Verizon router?

If so, what results do you get when you test from Verizon router?

If testing from their router doesn't give near gig performance, then you can go back to support with that info.

If their rotuer gives good performance, then there may be an issue with computer or network (if you have one) that connects to router.

If you are not using Verizon router, they may provide some support, but will provide some pushback.

Amythyst
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes we are using their router - as I said, the technician replaced everything yesterday.

Again, we unplugged the ethernet going into the router and plugged it directly into a NIC card (bypassing the router) and still only got 450/450.  And yes the card we plugged it into is capable of 1 gig. 

When we test the router with Verizon's website it says the router is getting "blazing fast speed" at 950/950.  If we then take that cable out of the router and plug it into a computer instead, it goes down to 450/450.  So, something is lying. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Ah ha....

if you get the speed from connecting your computer to an available LAN port on the router and it shows that blazing fast speed, that means it is your computer.

i don't understand what the 450/450 speed is from? Are you testing under the Verizon device speed test? If so you have to remember the speed to/from your devices may not be able to achieve gigabyte speeds.

you would need a top of the line computer with a top of the line processor and have the ability to connect at the 1 gigabyte or more speed to show top performance.

so in essence your speed from Verizon's servers to your home is correct. 

The speed of the devices to the router etc. is not Verizon's matter. You are getting exactly what you are paying for.

0 Likes
Amythyst
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, we don't get the speed connecting to a LAN port on the router.

If I unhook the ethernet connection from the Fiber box (the ONT) that goes into the router and plug that directly into the PC, the speed sucks.  If you do verizon's little "router" test.. it says that its getting 950/950.  There's no reason (that I can think of) for Verizon to claim the router is receving at 950/950 but we can't get anything near that speed on any device.

Its an i7 laptop with a gigabit NIC card and an SSD drive ... that is more than enough to max out a gigabit connection.  There is NO reason my computer shouldn't be getting the fast speed.

0 Likes