3rd Party Router upgrade
k9cousin
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm looking to upgrade my G1100 router to a WI-FI 6 unit. I'm considering a 3rd party router (TP-LINK AX6000) or maybe the Verizon G3300. We currently have 100/100 service with FIOS TV. From the ONT I have a MOCA (coaxial) line into the G1100. The TP-LINK unit requires a modem to work in conjunction with it. I believe the G3300 is a MOCA. 1st question: in order to use the TP-LINK unit I need to change my MOCA interface to ethernet, right? Then the modem is not required? 2nd: will FIOS TV  still work using the TP-LINK unit. 3rd:  do I need Verizon to change this or can I use some sort of adapter to convert MOCA to ethernet? thanks for any insight on this.

0 Likes
Re: 3rd Party Router upgrade
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fios TV boxes would lost most functions if you use a non-Verizon router. Also, Fios does not modems, instead, it is called an Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

There's no such router as G3300, but G3100. There's a new 10G router called CR1000A released this Monday, but currently is not widely available.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

To utilize speeds above 100, Verizon would need to switch the Internet from coaxial cable over to Ethernet. The process can be done remotely by Verizon's Customer Service agents.

k9cousin
Enthusiast - Level 1

How can this be done remotely? It's a physical connection.  After my original post I read here that I can run an Ethernet cable from ONT to router and then call Verizon to make the change on my account remotely

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct. Verizon will make the required changes inside the ONT while you would switch the physical cables.