A New DSl Modem.
jwhicksbod

I talked with Verizon yesterday about my slow speeds with their "enhanced" DSL service [Download 2.94mpbs, Upload .65). Their solution is to send me a new modem because the current one is over 7 years old. Hopefully that works. My question is- does anyone know what modem Verizon is sending out these days? Dual band, wifi ect?

0 Likes
Re: A New DSl Modem.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No dual band Wireless gateways yet. They do 300Mbps Wireless N at the best, or 144Mbps in a recommend setup.

The Gateways Verizon ships out today are the ActionTec GT784WNV or the D-Link DSL 2750b.

2.94Mbps is right on par with what Verizon considers to be the "Enhanced DSL" tier. There's a chance Verizon just has you provisioned to 3Mbps and they are throwing a modem at the problem. Chances are good, unless you're running a Westell 2200 or Westell 2100, or something even older than that, your modem is good for up to 24Mbps/1.3Mbps service since it would support ADSL2+.

Most areas are unfortunately capped at 3Mbps. You can usually push Verizon to get you more if you're on equipment that has capacity for more. It'll take some persistance, keep in mind. There are also no guarantees. In my case, persistance landed me with getting the highest possible speed ADSL can run at, in an area that is qualified for only 3Mbps (well less than half of what ADSL is capable of). In a situation where your area is indefinitely capped at 3Mbps, either due to the equipment or the wire length, FiOS or Cable is the next upgrade path... or LTE If you consider that real Internet.

0 Likes