Actiontec GT704WG has two flaws
azalea4va
Enthusiast - Level 2

I look at the list of posts on this board and wonder if Verizon cares.  It seems to me they have a monopoly so they have no concern about the quality (are lack of) of the service they provide.

I too entered a period where my DSL service had frequent problems.  Eventually we discovered there were three problems.  Two of them are with the design of the ActionTec GT704WG modem.

1. The modem records DNS request information in its own internal log.  Every DNS request is captured, then relayed after it is logged.  If the modem is under heavy use, such as during a download, it cannot handle the load the the relaying of the DNS request is delayed so long that it times out.  So any DNS requests during a download fail.

2. The modem does not unders IPv6.  So IPv6 querires are ignored.  Anysoftware making IPv^ queries has to wait for those queries to timeout, causing sluggish performance.

So I requested Verizon provide me with a wrieless modem other than the Actiontec GT704WG.  They responded that is the only type of modem they can provide.  I have a problem, I know the solution (give me a Westell wireless modem), and Verizon refuses to solve it. 

I wonder if the high-level executives understand care about things like this.  If I was a high ranking executive in verizon, I would be embarassed.

Re: Actiontec GT704WG has two flaws
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Would you be able to run this program and send the results to us?

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

I find it strange that the modem would be set to log ALL DNS lookup requests, since that is a known waste of CPU cycles just for it to be cleared in a matter of minutes by other entries. I know the Westell modems log when a DNS Lookup fails, so that is expected functionality and can be kept if DNS is functioning properly, though I do have to some doubts as to why they log particular entries. As far as the DNS Proxy in the routers go, sure, those tends to under perform and they also tend to be rather limited in functionality unless the router is having the latest builds of the software installed.

0 Likes
azalea4va
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Would you be able to run this program and send the results to us?"

Who is "us"?  I assume "us" is Verizon?  If so, I would be happy to supply my services at a rate of $100 per hour.

I am not pleased with Verizon.  In the three months it took to resolve this issue, I dealt with a number of very nice Verizon people, all trying hard.  But the techs that came to my home did not have any expertise in things like tcp/ip or dns and trying to access by phone a technician with the required technical competence was also impossible.  So at no time did Verizon care to apply the necessary technical resources to solve this problem.  From looking at these forums, it appears this is a pattern with Verizon.

I am of the opinion that when companies create a customer service structure on the cheap and as a result consumers issues are not handled properly, we consumers must hold those companies accountable.  My concern is if I help verizon discover flaws in their equipment, particularly for free, I am rewarding verizon for not putting in the investment it should in providing excellent service.  So I think it appropriate that Verizon pays for the technical help I can provide.  If I am wrong about the technical issues with the actiontec, I will not charge Verizon anything for my time.

I posted about this issue because other consumers may be having similar issues but not realize the problem is with their modem so they just accept degraded service (calls to tech support would yield a response that does not address the issue).  I hope my post helps those customers get the corrective action they deserve

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

"Us" is us here on this forum. We are not all Verizon employees.  Well, at least I'm not.

And I charge $180/hr so you owe me already.

😉