Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 DHCP Fails
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

Hello All

Hardware:  MI424WR-GEN2 hardware revision F

Firmware:  20.21.0.2

Frequently the DHCP service on this router fails, I get associations, but don't get DHCP from the router.   Devices that already have leased IPs or that have static IP have no problems.

The solution is to reboot the router.   This happens at least once a week.

I've checked and I have the latest firmware (as per the check for updates button)

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

~Todd

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 DHCP Fails
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Hi....

What I would suggest is that you take advantage of Verizon's offer of a free Rev I replacement router.  That will likely solve your problem and give you the added benefit of WPA2 capability.

See the top link on this page to order the free replacement:

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks... I checked it out... "free upgrade"  that you have to pay shipping and handling on!! 😕

Does anyone know if they'll swap this out at a verizon store?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I don't know about swapping out at a store, but when I did that upgrade the shipping and handling came to $6.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

I agree, $6 is reasonable for a voluntary upgrade, but not for a solution to fix a problem with their equipment

I will try to call support

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Out of curiosity what kind of devices aren't connecting and does rebooting the actual device ever fix it.   It kind of sounds like an old APIPA issue/problem where devices would fail to request a new lease when the ip was set to expire.  I think the actiontec is 4 hours lan ip lease. Does that sound familiar. Do they fail about that amount of time or interval? 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Also if I had an option of paying six bucks vs waiting on hold and talking to one of the upfront agents and who knows how many transfers, well, I'll let ya guess what I'd choose   😃  

ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Out of curiosity what kind of devices aren't connecting and does rebooting the actual device ever fix it.   It kind of sounds like an old APIPA issue/problem where devices would fail to request a new lease when the ip was set to expire.  I think the actiontec is 4 hours lan ip lease. Does that sound familiar. Do they fail about that amount of time or interval? 

Mixture of my work laptop (I work in IT), androids, etc.   I see the wifi assocfiation but dhcp fails outright even if I do a forced renew.   I've been lazy (mostly because my two toddlers don't afford me time) to wireshark it during the problem to see whats actually going on.

0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

To anyone who took the router upgrade talked about above, what happens to your old router?  Do you have to ship it back, do they give you a return label?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I got the upgrade.  They didn't ask for the old router back.