Actiontec dropping DNS?
Sya1

For the last month, I have had to reset my Actiontec router/gateway about twice a day to maintain an internet connection. When the internet drops out all the lights are solid green (including the internet light) but the the windows network icon only indicates local access only and no other device will connect. A few of my devices have reported a DNS issue when the internet service disappears. Is this a modem issue (of course it is), would switching to an external DNS (google 8.8.8.8 for example) help. How do I get Verizon to replace this modem if that won't work?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec dropping DNS?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's worth a shot to see if setting Google DNS up on a device allows that device Internet connectivity when others fail to connect. It could prove either the daemon in the modem is crashing from something, or there's a DNS lookup issue going on outside of the gateway. Away from that, try simply pinging 8.8.8.8 when the connection goes out. That should be all of the proof you need to determine if using Outside DNS will help.

Also, ping your ActionTec Gateway when the connection stops. It could be possible that it has locked up.

0 Likes
Sya1

Thanks for the reply and suggestion(s). I set up my ethernet connected PC with an external google DNS and, wouldn't you know it there hasn't been a hiccup since! Maybe the problem is external and the amorphous they have repaired it (although I'm not holding my breath).

Thanks again

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear that, and you're welcome!

0 Likes