Adding Moca to Fios Gigabit Internet Only
crispyangles

I recently had a gigabit connection installed in my home where previously I had just the 100/100 package which was wired with coax. I have the router currently connected to the ONT through Ethernet and do not have any TV services added. My question is will the Motorola MM1000 Moca 2.0 adapters be able to establish a link through the pre existing coax jacks that are located in my rooms even though I don't have any TV service? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding Moca to Fios Gigabit Internet Only
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

STBs use coax for two connections: MoCA LAN to the router and linear TV from the ONT.  Since you don’t have TV, this really doesn’t matter for this discussion.  Verizon routers can get WAN from the ONT via Ethernet or a *different* MoCA connection then used for the LAN.  This too has nothing to do with your need.

Verizon routers create a MoCA LAN when plugged into coax, regardless of how they get their WAN connection.  In your case, simply connect the G1100 to coax to create a MoCA LAN.  Then, connect the MM1000 to another coax jack using the network jack.  Do not use the device jack for anything.  It should connect to the MoCA LAN from the router and the “link” light should turn on.  If the link light doesn’t turn on you most likely do not have connectivity between the two router and the adaptor’s coax jacks and you should double check your coax network connections.

Your connection should look like this:

• ONT WAN Ethernet -> Ethernet cable -> G1100 WAN port
  • G1100 Coax Port -> Coax network / cable -> MM1000 Network coax port
  • NM1000 Ethernet Port -> Ethernet cable -> Ethernet device / switch.

Make sure your coax network is disconnected from the outside world, otherwise you’ll be sending your LAN signal to your neighbors.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

TV service is independent of MoCA usage.

Verizon routers create a MoCA LAN which can be used by a variety of devices

including your MM1000.  If you have a Verizon router, simply connect it to coax and you should be good to go.

If you have a non-Verizon router, you'll need a MoCA bridge at the router to create the LAN.  Another MM1000 should do the trick.

Good Luck.

crispyangles

I have the G1100 I believe it is. I've tried connecting the adapter directly to the router and then connect the coax to the back of the adapter but I'm unable to establish a connection. I haven't been able to find any guides or any helpful documentation regarding my situation. Most other scenarios I've come across people have coax running to an STB or are connected to the ONT through coax instead of Ethernet. If anyone has a guide for setting up the MM1000 with the G1100 Verizion router on a gigabit connection I would appreciate any help

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

STBs use coax for two connections: MoCA LAN to the router and linear TV from the ONT.  Since you don’t have TV, this really doesn’t matter for this discussion.  Verizon routers can get WAN from the ONT via Ethernet or a *different* MoCA connection then used for the LAN.  This too has nothing to do with your need.

Verizon routers create a MoCA LAN when plugged into coax, regardless of how they get their WAN connection.  In your case, simply connect the G1100 to coax to create a MoCA LAN.  Then, connect the MM1000 to another coax jack using the network jack.  Do not use the device jack for anything.  It should connect to the MoCA LAN from the router and the “link” light should turn on.  If the link light doesn’t turn on you most likely do not have connectivity between the two router and the adaptor’s coax jacks and you should double check your coax network connections.

Your connection should look like this:

• ONT WAN Ethernet -> Ethernet cable -> G1100 WAN port
  • G1100 Coax Port -> Coax network / cable -> MM1000 Network coax port
  • NM1000 Ethernet Port -> Ethernet cable -> Ethernet device / switch.

Make sure your coax network is disconnected from the outside world, otherwise you’ll be sending your LAN signal to your neighbors.

Good Luck.

Netextend

To extend the question. I have a spare Netgear CG3000D gateway with a coax input port. Can this be used instead of the Motorola Moca adapter? Thanks!

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Netextend wrote:

To extend the question. I have a spare Netgear CG3000D gateway with a coax input port. Can this be used instead of the Motorola Moca adapter? Thanks!

No, that's a cable modem.  Cable modems are useless on FiOS.  If you're never going back to cable, get rid of it.

There are several vendors of MoCA adapters out there.  Spend some time searching this forum and using google to find ones that meet your need.

0 Likes