Adding an additional router to Westell 327W?

I've got a Westell 327W. The four ports on the back are used by two media PCs, a desktop comptuer, and NAS device. There are times I'd like to hardwrie my laptop in when I am using it, rather than use Wi-Fi. I can unplug a media PC and do this, but I'd rather not plug and unplug all the time. I'd rather just have the cable there and plug it in as necessary. rather than dig behind olne fo the other PCs and unplug the cable.

Is there a router I can add to the 327W or can I repalce it with anotehr router/modem which has more ports?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding an additional router to Westell 327W?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For this purpose, you can just buy a cheap 10/100Mbps switch. These are plug 'n play devices and expand upon your wired network using just one network port on your Westell modem. I'd only use a router if you are planning on using a newer wireless technology, like 802.11n or 802.11ac and also want additional wireless ports. If you go the router route, you will have to do some configuring so the device works like a bridge/switch/access point, or you will have communication problems with the rest of your network.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For this purpose, you can just buy a cheap 10/100Mbps switch. These are plug 'n play devices and expand upon your wired network using just one network port on your Westell modem. I'd only use a router if you are planning on using a newer wireless technology, like 802.11n or 802.11ac and also want additional wireless ports. If you go the router route, you will have to do some configuring so the device works like a bridge/switch/access point, or you will have communication problems with the rest of your network.

0 Likes

Thanks!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome!

0 Likes