Alternate DHCP and DNS Server with FiOS-G1100?
MadJaspor
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am trying to set up "taps" and track my home internet traffic better, however, my router is not forwarding DHCP requests (not a major concern).  Much worse is that it always submits itself as the DNS server clients and forwards on their behalf.  So, I am catching all DNS traffic in my network, but only see the router IP as the source since it's NATing/forwarding the request.

Aside from installing a custom ROM on my router or buying a more customizable router to put in front of it; does anyone have ideas?  I've speant many hours scrubbing through the router config and haven't found the right magic sequence to accomplish my hopes.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Alternate DHCP and DNS Server with FiOS-G1100?
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately both of what your trying to accomplish can't be done on the G1100. 

For DNS you can point the router to your server like you did, however like you said all requests will come from the router then instead of the client.

Do you have Internet only? Or do you have FiOS TV services as well? Depending on your setup using your own more advanced router just might be easier than you think.

I'd reccomend you look into a router based on OpenWRT, which gives you complete access to everything you could imagine. Its basically a mini linux box. You mentioned flashing a ROM on the G1100 and while this would be AWESOME, it hasn't been done since the drivers needed are closed source.

Take a look at my other post about using your own router, and please post back with any questions! https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately both of what your trying to accomplish can't be done on the G1100. 

For DNS you can point the router to your server like you did, however like you said all requests will come from the router then instead of the client.

Do you have Internet only? Or do you have FiOS TV services as well? Depending on your setup using your own more advanced router just might be easier than you think.

I'd reccomend you look into a router based on OpenWRT, which gives you complete access to everything you could imagine. Its basically a mini linux box. You mentioned flashing a ROM on the G1100 and while this would be AWESOME, it hasn't been done since the drivers needed are closed source.

Take a look at my other post about using your own router, and please post back with any questions! https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

MadJaspor
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sadly, I do have TV as well, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the dumb thing.  I appreciate the feedback and will look at buying a router to put in front of it!  I haven't been impressed with the Wi-Fi off the thing anyway, so probably for the best.

0 Likes
TheCiscoKid

Thanks - this answers my question as well.  I do have (2) follow-up questions

1. I have both TV and Internet Services....what is the possibility of shutting down the DHCP server on the Verizon-provided G1100, and setting up my own on a Linux Server I have in my environment?  I notice the set-top boxes acquire IP addresses from the DHCP server.  What is the impact to those devices if I set up a different DHCP server?

2. There is a "Local administration" function in the advanced settings that allows for SSH into the G1100 - appears to be a Linux interface, albeit very limited.  There is a resolv.conf in the /etc directory.  I would assume tehre are somewhere hidden configuration files for the DHCP service...I am certain this is not Verizon supported, but I'd think there'd be a way to configure/customize the DHCP service from that interface to what we'd want. 

Thought on either of these potential workarounds?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Buy the more advanced router you need. Get rid of the fios gateway router. Now you will need to get a fne or fios network extender from verizon. Take the coax off the fios gateway router and connect it to the coax on the fne. Take the ethernet wan out of fios router and plug into new router wan you buy. The plug a ethernet jumper from your new routers lan port to one of the 2 ethernet ports on back of fne. That will create a moca network for the fios tv boxes.