Another use-my-own-router issue
Parkca01
Enthusiast - Level 2

Followed this handy guide to try to set up internet using my own router. 

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

However, my ONT is outside of my house. I have a COAX cable running inside, but not an ethernet cable. My home is brick and I’m not sure how I’d bring an ethernet connection in easily (re-drilling).

So I bought an Actiontec MoCa network adapter. I put the coax in and plugged the Ethernet cord directly from there to my router. I can locate the network, login as admin and everything, but I can’t get internet access. 

My WAN IP reads 0.0.0.0. (LAN IP is populated)

I shouldn’t need a modem still right? I do not have a modem. 

Help, please. I am so frustrated. If there’s a link to a similar problem let me know. Everything I see is for issues with connecting to cable TV. Note I only have Verizon internet, we don’t have TV service. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Another use-my-own-router issue
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS systems can have TWO MoCA networks on the coax.  One for the LAN and one for the WAN.  Verizon routers actually have two MoCA interfaces for each of these networks.  These networks operate at different frequencies and may have different encryption keys.

MoCA WAN is used between the ONT and the router.  The ONT creates the MoCA WAN network.  As far as I know, the only devices that can connect to the ONT's MoCA WAN connections are Verizon routers.  There used to be a MoCA WAN adaptor one could buy, but it has long since been discontinued.  IF you can find it online, it will cost hundreds of dollars; no, I do not know the part number.

MoCA LAN is used between the router and client devices including set-top-boxes.  The router creates the MoCA LAN network.  The readily available MoCA adaptors are designed to work with this network, not the MoCA WAN.

Some people have used MoCA LAN adapters to create their own coax link between an ONT and their router.  This works if you can install a MoCA adaptor next to the ONT and another next to the router.  No other adapters can be used, as this is the WAN link and can only go to the router.

If you can figure out how to run Ethernet, you'll need to contact Verizon to switch the ONT from MoCA to Ethernet.  If you find the right person it takes about five minutes for them to re-provision the ONT.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Parkca01 wrote:

Followed this handy guide to try to set up internet using my own router. 

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

However, my ONT is outside of my house. I have a COAX cable running inside, but not an ethernet cable. My home is brick and I’m not sure how I’d bring an ethernet connection in easily (re-drilling).

So I bought an Actiontec MoCa network adapter. I put the coax in and plugged the Ethernet cord directly from there to my router. I can locate the network, login as admin and everything, but I can’t get internet access. 

My WAN IP reads 0.0.0.0. (LAN IP is populated)

I shouldn’t need a modem still right? I do not have a modem. 

Help, please. I am so frustrated. If there’s a link to a similar problem let me know. Everything I see is for issues with connecting to cable TV. Note I only have Verizon internet, we don’t have TV service. 

A MoCA adapter will not get a WAN IP from the ONT. You have to get ethernet from your ONT to your router’s WAN port. 

Parkca01
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, short of getting my house drilled into, there’s no option for me to use my own router? Is there any solution with a COAX cable? 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Parkca01 wrote:

So, short of getting my house drilled into, there’s no option for me to use my own router? Is there any solution with a COAX cable? 

Not really. Some people will use a pair where ethernet will go from ONT to first adapter then the coax will feed the second adapter then ethernet to the router. 

In your case you would still have to get ethernet from the ONT outside so you might as well just run ethernet the whole way. 

Parkca01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am so defeated. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You said you have internet only. How about cutting the coax and then use the hole to run the ethernet. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another thing I just thought of is that Verizon uses 1000 MHz for the coax out of the ONT. The MoCA adapter is probably set to a different frequency. I read posts on here that people changed the frequency of the adapter. If the adapter can be changed to 1000 MHz it might work. 

Parkca01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don’t think the MoCa has a frequency adjuster. 

Yeah, the ONT hole is sealed up pretty solid. When we finally cut the cable cord this year was when we were attempting the other options. That seems like the choice though. I’m just so confused as to why people say the MoCa adaptors work with fios??? Must be another application. I will have to look into when I’m not so agitated. 

Thanks for your help. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The most common reason to use a MoCA adapter is if you are using your own non-MoCA router connected to the ONT via Ethernet and have FiOS TV. The cable boxes will get an IP address from the router through the MoCA adapter. They need internet access to get the TV Guide and On Demand. 

Another reason to use them whether you have FiOS or any other internet service is if you need to hardwire a device in a room that has coax but no Ethernet. A pair of MoCA adapters can be used.

In this link below the poster logged into the MoCA adapter and changed the operating frequency. It is worth a try to see if you can login to your adapter and see if you can change the frequency to 1000 MHz. So the coax from your ONT will connect to the adapter then the Ethernet will then connect to your routers WAN port. 

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Bonded-MoCA-2-0-with-Gigabit-plan-and-STBs/m-p/877845

The only other option is to get Ethernet from your ONT to your router. Either way if you have any questions just post them and I'll get back to you. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS systems can have TWO MoCA networks on the coax.  One for the LAN and one for the WAN.  Verizon routers actually have two MoCA interfaces for each of these networks.  These networks operate at different frequencies and may have different encryption keys.

MoCA WAN is used between the ONT and the router.  The ONT creates the MoCA WAN network.  As far as I know, the only devices that can connect to the ONT's MoCA WAN connections are Verizon routers.  There used to be a MoCA WAN adaptor one could buy, but it has long since been discontinued.  IF you can find it online, it will cost hundreds of dollars; no, I do not know the part number.

MoCA LAN is used between the router and client devices including set-top-boxes.  The router creates the MoCA LAN network.  The readily available MoCA adaptors are designed to work with this network, not the MoCA WAN.

Some people have used MoCA LAN adapters to create their own coax link between an ONT and their router.  This works if you can install a MoCA adaptor next to the ONT and another next to the router.  No other adapters can be used, as this is the WAN link and can only go to the router.

If you can figure out how to run Ethernet, you'll need to contact Verizon to switch the ONT from MoCA to Ethernet.  If you find the right person it takes about five minutes for them to re-provision the ONT.

Good Luck.