Anyone uses Xiaomi security webcam with FIOS? Cannot connect.
retina025
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've just switched from time warner to FIOS and found that my Xiaimo security webcam is no longer able to get connected. Tried using my Sprint phone as a hotspot and the webcam get connected with no problem. While I was searching solutions on Xiaomi's support website, I found that this website (xiaomi support forum) can not be opened on FIOS network. But I have no problem opening it using my Sprint cellular signal or at work.

bbs.xiaomi.cn

imageunable to ping xiaomi support forum

I asked a few friends with FIOS service and we all have the same problem accessing this website. We are all in NYC area.

Anyone here would like to give a test? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone uses Xiaomi security webcam with FIOS? Cannot connect.
jonjones1
Legend

@retina025 wrote:

I've just switched from time warner to FIOS and found that my Xiaimo security webcam is no longer able to get connected. Tried using my Sprint phone as a hotspot and the webcam get connected with no problem. While I was searching solutions on Xiaomi's support website, I found that this website (xiaomi support forum) can not be opened on FIOS network. But I have no problem opening it using my Sprint cellular signal or at work.

bbs.xiaomi.cn

imageunable to ping xiaomi support forum

I asked a few friends with FIOS service and we all have the same problem accessing this website. We are all in NYC area.

Anyone here would like to give a test? Thanks in advance.

The bbs in the equation is a “bulletin board service” which may require Telnet service which many isp’s no longer allow due to security concerns. Couple that it is a non secure way to provide service today, and that it is outside the USA I would say this company must have a web base portal out there. Search for it.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like Verizon can't route to the destination host in China. I'm getting "Destination Network Unreachable" "!N" when attempting to traceroute that domain.

BZ.v3.9.19# traceroute bbs.xiaomi.cn
traceroute to bbs.xiaomi.cn (203.100.93.109), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  Firewall (192.168.2.1)  0.502 ms  0.192 ms  0.425 ms
 2  98.118.185.1 (98.118.185.1)  2.608 ms  1.054 ms  1.086 ms
 3  *  G101-0-0-6.BFLONY-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net (100.41.139.252)  1.476 ms !N  *
 4  G101-0-0-6.BFLONY-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net (100.41.139.252)  1.990 ms !N  *  *
 5  G101-0-0-6.BFLONY-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net (100.41.139.252)  3.101 ms !N  *  3.283 ms !N
BZ.v3.9.19#
BZ.v3.9.19#

To reach that end hostname, Verizon must connect through China Telecom, which carries traffic to the end datacenter.  There's a possibility that Verizon has not received the routes correctly. Or there is BGP filtering occurring which is causing the route to not be received.

I tried a few other Xiaomi services, as well as a few services hosted through China Telecom, and don't seem to be having any routing issues to those. Granted they are on different networks.

It would be worth posting this issue over at the Verizon Direct DSLReports forum to have the case escalated to network engineering: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

retina025
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks everyone...

This bbs website is actually the web service of the bulletin and there is no need to use telnet to access it. It doesn't look like a security reason to me.

As mentioned, many other Xiaomi websites are smoothly accessible with FIOS. So it seems this bulletin is on a different network.

For the Xiaomi webcam, I ended up installing it succesfully using the 2.4GHz. It's odd that the webcam and the FIOS gateway router both support 802.11n 5GHz but they cannot get connnected. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The connectivity issues with 5Ghz are likely related to another longstanding thread going on with the G1100 routers: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Quantum-G1100-Router-suddenly-not-keeping-5ghz-connectio...

Granted, it could be a compatibility issue between the cameras, or the router's 5Ghz radio is in Performance Mode instead of Mixed / Compatibility mode. Some devices also can't connect on 5Ghz if the radio is operating >40Mhz mode. G1100 operates at 80Mhz by default.

retina025
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good to know! I tried to put 5Ghz as n+AC or AC only modes but it didn't help. The camera only works in 802.11n though.

The router user guide shows 5Ghz can be set up 802.11n only but I don't see it in my router admin pages.

0 Likes