Asus laptop getting slow speeds with Fios Gigabit (other devices are better)
Not applicable

Just wondering if anyone in the community can help me.  My wife's laptop is getting 200+ mbps down and up and mine is getting 5-30 down and 50-120 up.  I just switched from Comcast's 150 down, where I typically got 80-120.  It's obvious that there is a problem with my laptop interfacing with Fios. 

The router is in the garage and the network extender is in a bedroom.  It doesn't matter how close or how far from either device I am, it makes no difference.  I can't test via an ethernet cable because my laptop doesn't have an in/out for it. 

Windows 10 Home version 1709. 

Processor - Core i7-6700HQ @ 2.60GHZ

16GB RAM

64 bit OS

I just now did a speed test via speedtest.net where I got a 12ms ping, 23.99mbps down and 12.85 up.  I also did one via verizon's speedtest which indicated 19.31mbps down and 34.59 up. 

Not sure what other information would be helpful. 

0 Likes
Re: Asus laptop getting slow speeds with Fios Gigabit (other devices are better)
jonjones1
Legend

@Novelectrowrote:

Just wondering if anyone in the community can help me.  My wife's laptop is getting 200+ mbps down and up and mine is getting 5-30 down and 50-120 up.  I just switched from Comcast's 150 down, where I typically got 80-120.  It's obvious that there is a problem with my laptop interfacing with Fios. 

The router is in the garage and the network extender is in a bedroom.  It doesn't matter how close or how far from either device I am, it makes no difference.  I can't test via an ethernet cable because my laptop doesn't have an in/out for it. 

Windows 10 Home version 1709. 

@Processor - Core i7-6700HQ @ 2.60GHZ

16GB RAM

64 bit OS

I just now did a speed test via speedtest.net where I got a 12ms ping, 23.99mbps down and 12.85 up.  I also did one via verizon's speedtest which indicated 19.31mbps down and 34.59 up. 

Not sure what other information would be helpful. 

I can only tell you that your computer can connect directly with a gigabyte ethernet adaptor USB 3.0 or higher. 

I am going to say it’s because your WiFi radio is not getting a strong signal or it’s a WiFi radio that cannot utilize the higher bands of a/ac which is understandable since computer manufacturers use the “B/G/N” standard to keep costs down.

verizon only accepts their own speedtest hooked directly to the router with an ethernet cable.

you may also want to access your Quantum router and turn off WMM to get faster connections. The settings are in the manual. 

0 Likes
Re: Asus laptop getting slow speeds with Fios Gigabit (other devices are better)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like you're using Wi-Fi. According to the Windows Device Manager, what Wireless card is installed into your laptop?

0 Likes