Automatic Windows Updates?
MIKE7772
Enthusiast - Level 3

I use Windows-7 and have Verizon Security Suite (and Verizon backup).

I've read in many places that it's vital to keep your computer current on Windows updates, and that it's highly recommended to set your computer for automatic updates.  Yet, in telephoning Verizon technical reps to help with various problems on my computer, some have told me that I should NOT have my computer set for automatic Windows updates, and that if I do, my computer will eventually get to where it won't even work!  Is this true?  Should I EVER update my Windows settings?
0 Likes
Re: Automatic Windows Updates?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Windows Updates (Automatic or done manually) have broken computer(s).

Between Automatic and doing them manaully, I would recommend doing them manually.

By manaully, I mean..

a) Going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

b) Not clicking on express. The other option...

--

You do the updates manaully every so often. Typcially the second Tuesday of each month is when the patches/updates are released.

Re: Automatic Windows Updates?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It depends on what you prefer to do. If you like the piece of mind of Windows Updates not hosing up something, please be sure to read the Knowledge Base articles for the Patch Tuesday updates they push out to see if they matter to you. I myself have not seen Windows Updates hose a machine unless there was already an underlying problem such as a bad disk or the registry was messed with in a negative way by some program.

0 Likes