Bad Switch
mrfnb1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am using wired connections for my computers with FIOS. I was having a problem with not getting the correct speed I should have about a month after I got the service re-installed. Since there are more than four devices to plug in, I need to use a network hub (switch) to enable all of them. The hub I had was a few years old, but had been working just fine.

When I noticed the speed problem I tried the online help, then when that didn't help, I called Verizon support. After doing some procedures from their end, they told me they would need to send a technician to check out the matter. Never once did they suggest I do a direct connect from the modem to a computer, something I could have done in about 10 seconds. No - instead they sent me a repair tech who had me check the direct connection from the computer to the modem after he checked the speed for himself. Upon doing this, I discovered that my switch was not working properly. I purchased a new switch for $24 from Amazon, and all was well. That is until I got smacked with a $91 charge for a technician to come and check out the system. There was a technician here to install me at the beginning and he didn't check for speed - just connectivity. So one month later they slam me for $91 for a problem that 1) the install tech should have found and 2) something the tech on the phone should have suggested.

What with all the offers from alternate providers, it may be tempting ..

0 Likes
Re: Bad Switch
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3
Moved for greater exposure
0 Likes