Bandwidth Cut back
fredzoyt

Why is it that everytime a Verizon representative shows up at my door to convince me to upgrade my service to something more expensive, I always notice a significant decrease in my internet speed shortly after that for a season?

Am I suppose to believe this is just a coincidence? 

I cannot afford FIOS which is why I don't upgrade and I don't appreciate being strong armed into it by cutting back on my already limited bandwidth.

Please someone address this. And please don't ask me to call tech support because Verizon tech support is a fiasco. Just tell whoever to leave my bandwidth at the speed I paid for please.

Thank you,

Dave

0 Likes
Re: Bandwidth Cut back
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'd venture to say it's pure coincidence if everything is coinciding with the change of season. Call Verizon and ask them to disable the ASSIA optimizer on your line (Yes, it can be done. It's disabled on mine) and provision your line to the max rate possible. This should either be 1Mbps if you're on the lower speed package, or the maximum the line can physically handle at a stable level if you're on Enhanced.

0 Likes
fredzoyt

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.  I'll give your suggestion a try.

Dave

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a problem. If you are not able to get a solution to the issue, please stop back and we'll see what else can be done.

0 Likes
fredzoyt
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@fredzoyt wrote:

I guess I'm not alone in my hunch.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-DSL-and-Dial/Attempting-to-force-DSL-users-to-chang...

Dave

For sure. In my area people are forced to FiOS if any problem is reported with the copper service. I can't blame Verizon one bit for doing that, but when it comes down to it there are very few exceptions to remaining on copper in a FiOS area. Considering how rough in shape the copper is in this area, I am happy for the forced transition to Fiber. I mean, it could be worse. Dealing with the cable company, screwing around with Wireless, or having an unfixable copper connection that won't ever be replaced. All three of those in this area at least, come with some nasty, expensive trade-offs.

0 Likes