Battery Backup
IndianChief1

I heard a beeping in my basement. Investigating where it came from, I found the Battery Backup Unit on the wall with a red light on and marked replace battery. I called Verizon support and spoke to an associate, who told me it was my responsibility to repace it. A battery would cost $29.95 or $39.95 and the battery is used for phone service only if power was to be lost.  I told him it is Verizon property, I didn't buy it, and Verizon should replace it. Surprise surprise, he had no answer to that. So I decided to just disconnect it seeing as how it was for phone service only and only lasted for 8 hours.

0 Likes
Re: Battery Backup
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon has been very clear that the batteries belong to us users.  They used to give one away at install time, then they switched to charging for them at install and now they sell an optional D-cell based system (batteries not included).

You can certainly run without a battery.  You will loose phone during power outages unless you have another backup solution such as a UPS.  A UPS will keep all services up until it's battery drains.

If you don't install a battery, the BBU (battery backup unit) may beep every once in a while.  Depending on the model of BBU, it may be possible to silence it with the right button press.

You don't have to buy a battery from Verizon.  You can find them online and at local stores for much less.

Good Luck

0 Likes
bert868

That is very interesting to hear that they were going to charge you.  I had an issue where my battery was beeping.  I also couldn't get my tv or internet to work.  Phone went out.  I called verizon.  Had service out there the next morning to replace my battery.  There was no charge.  

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bert868 wrote:

That is very interesting to hear that they were going to charge you.  I had an issue where my battery was beeping.  I also couldn't get my tv or internet to work.  Phone went out.  I called verizon.  Had service out there the next morning to replace my battery.  There was no charge.  

That sounds more like the ONT died as the battery has nothing to do with anything but the phone.

0 Likes