Best way to request Fios in property?
BenJR
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

I'm purchasing a home within a major Fios service area in Brooklyn, but the property itself is not yet connected, Fios shows as unavailable. Properties immediately across the street are connected, and neighboring properties also seem like good candidates for eventual connection. Does anyone know the best way to request service to a single-family home? (I'm not sure if the online request form is the best way, I filled out a month or so ago).

0 Likes
Re: Best way to request Fios in property?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you locate a nearest Verizon GPON splitter on the street? If you can, how far is it from your house? If it is less than a block from the neighbors' houses, it should be as easy as a normal installation for the field technician.

jonjones1
Legend

I do believe Verizon has an agreement with NYC to make Fios available to all who want it.

There is a office you can try googling to get the address and phone number to inquire.

I believe Brooklyn is included.

You can try asking for a fast ticket here at another verizon site that has excellent response time.

Verizon Direct forum | DSLReports, ISP Information

here is the NYC story

Verizon expanding broadband service to 500,000 New York City households | amNewYork (amny.com)

Good Luck

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like other enhanced service providers, Verizon will cherry pick specific locations where Fios services will be made available in towns/cities where it is granted permission to offer it.

For years, I tried to have Verizon install Fios at the church I attend. Up until last year we used Verizon DSL. The pandemic forced us onto Zoom. Every request was turned down with a "Not Eligible" response.

The reasons for this include utilities being underground, the lack of residential structures in the immediate area of the church and the closest GPON would need to be augmented.

The only enhanced service provider in the immediate area is Comcast. The company ended up connecting us to an open tap located on a cul-de-sac on the east side of the building.

Hopefully you'll be able to get Verizon to bring fiber into the house. 🙂

BenJR
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you, DSLReports turned out to be a great way to reach out!

I still have to walk around and see where the nearest splitter is, but will see what Verizon techs think once they get to checking the place out.

0 Likes
risottto

After multiple service requests in Ridgewood NY and being dutifully told to "wait for us to contact you" for six years by Verizon I just tried asking on the DSL forums and I got a prompt response of

"If the engineering deems it is beneficial to expand services to your building they will notify you using the contact information you have provided in the service request"

Really, AGAIN?? Literally every building on the block has Fios except for ours. I can literally see the splitter a Fios tech I talked to on the street pointed to 20 feet away on a telephone pole! Owner occupied condo, no landlords, no crossing properties, not digging? Why can't we get service!

Any other ideas? I have tried:

Calling (every few months; response: wait for us to contact you, don't call us) ... 6 years of this.

Verizon Chat asking for Fios install's email contact (response: there is no email for Fios install, try calling)

DSL Forums (the same)

Any other ideas? Currently working from home to a corporate VPN paying $70 a month for 5 Mbps upload speeds (Spectrum Monopoly), and waiting hours to save a file.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon has said in the past that they are not looking to expand their coverage.

Ryan710

PXL_20230523_135810742.jpg

 tells

PXL_20230523_135753782.jpg

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!