Bridge Mode/3rd Party Router
Scott858

I have DSL and use a Verizon issued Actiontec GT784WN router.  I want to make this Actiontec router only a modem so that i can use my Cisco EA4500 router as my wireless router.  I need to be able to access the Cisco router via WAN (remote access).  Can this be done.  Seen some stuff around, however the Verizon GUI on the Actiontec GT784WN Router does not list any bridge mode that i can find.

0 Likes
Re: Bridge Mode/3rd Party Router
SDM12

I asked the same to Verizon (no answer), and was directed to the forum.  The Verizon router with one ID and one PW, raises security concern; as one has to give them to the guests/visitors for an access to the WiFi (unless one changes them frequently -a nuiscence; all home devices have to be revised).

0 Likes
Re: Bridge Mode/3rd Party Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is definitely a bridge mode on the ActionTec that I've seen in the past. I will need to turn mine on and find out where it is. It's either called "Bridge" or RFC-2684 Bridge, and can be found in your modem's PPPoE or VC Settings. Either one of these modes should disable routing on the modem and hand off responsibility to an external device.

If there is a mode called Static NAT, you can use that to give your router the public IP while leaving your ability to access the ActionTec intact, and gives you the option to make the router "Plug and Play" so you don't have to configure PPPoE.

0 Likes