Bridging the Actiontec 701C with separate Netgear router
brightonjel

Does anyone know how to reliably make the Actiontec 701C play nicely with an existing wireless router? (Netgear WNDR3700).  All was fine until the old Westell modem died and I bought the Actiontec as a replacement.  With some messing, I can make the modem work with a single laptop via ethernet, but no amount of juggling the basic DHCP settings on either the router or the modem will bring my home network back to life once I reattach the Netgear to the modem.  (Clearly, I want the router to act as the private-side DHCP server, not the modem.)

All suggestions gratefully received!

0 Likes
Re: Bridging the Actiontec 701C with separate Netgear router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 For the modem combo try to follow the info at

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25039239-

#2 If you have any questions, please ask.

0 Likes
Re: Bridging the Actiontec 701C with separate Netgear router
brightonjel

Thanks, tried that but nothing changed.  The modem was already in WAN DHCP mode in order to work standalone and changing the private side IP address didn't alter anything either (and those instructions for the 704WGB refer to a combined DSL/router/wireless device, not my 701C. I read through the manual for that combo and perhaps changing the router LAN address to put it ona  separate subnet does something in that specific device, but not mine).  I therefore pinged Actiontec and got the following response when posing the same question to them:

=========================

The GT701C does not have bridging capability since it was designed to verizon's specifications and their coding.

Your best solution would be to return that modem and purchase the GT701D which does have bridging capability.

=========================

So unless anyone has successfully got this combination working then I reckon I'm going to have to start again.

Thanks

J

0 Likes