CALLING ALL EXPERTS - Connected TWO Actiontec Routers to use one as main and second as GUEST
casadelrob44
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Experts-

I have TWO Actiontec Routers from Fios. I bought the new N one, and I have an old Actiotec that I was previously not using.  So here is what I am trying to do...

I'd like to leave Router 1 (the New N router) as my primary router (comes from ONT via cat5 wire NOT Coax) and Set-up the second router off the first to be a guest router.  So essentially make it a bridge.

I can't seem to configure it to work correctly.  

Can anyone out there give me a step-by-step walkthru on how to configure this second router so I can have them both hooked up, seperate SSID, with one as the Main and the other being the Guest?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Rob

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ... TWO Actiontec Routers ... one as main and second as GUEST - Check DSLReports
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I'm basically wondering how to change the routers IP address and where the Disable DHCP is within the menus.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

🙂 Rob

To change the IP address of the Local Area network choose:

My Network

Network Connections

Click edit on the row for "Network (Home/)office"

On the next screen click Settings

On the next screen you can change the LAN (192.168.1.1) address to something different.

On the same screen you can disable DHCP too.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Re: ... TWO Actiontec Routers ... one as main and second as GUEST - Check DSLReports
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@casadelrob44 wrote:

I have TWO Actiontec Routers ... I'd like to leave Router 1 ... as my primary router ... and Set-up the second router ... to be a guest router ...

You can find every detail of such configurations on the DSL pages.  Start here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking?r=0.341036457891704

0 Likes
casadelrob44
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the link, thats basically what I have been trying, BUT, i was sort of lookinb for a more detailed explanation b/c I can't seem to find the drop downs in the Actiotec MI424-WR rev. E to make it a bridge.

I was actually able to set-up a bridge with a netgear, their menus were a little more self explanatory, but I had to give that router back.  So with the Actiontec, I'm basically wondering how to change the routers IP address and where the Disable DHCP is within the menus.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

🙂 Rob

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I'm basically wondering how to change the routers IP address and where the Disable DHCP is within the menus.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

🙂 Rob

To change the IP address of the Local Area network choose:

My Network

Network Connections

Click edit on the row for "Network (Home/)office"

On the next screen click Settings

On the next screen you can change the LAN (192.168.1.1) address to something different.

On the same screen you can disable DHCP too.

I hope this helps.

casadelrob44
Enthusiast - Level 1

THANKS!! Solved!!

Put that old router to good use!!

🙂 Much appreciated for the help!

0 Likes