COAX VS ETHERNET
ethanv

why is ethernet better...faster speeds than coax? if so how much difference?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: COAX VS ETHERNET
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

In terms of Verizon the ONT that they install is MoCA 1.1 so the coax is limited to 100 mbps. Any speeds over 100 mbps they have to run ethernet from the ONT to your router. They also typically run ethernet and any new installs these days. 

The latest version of MoCA is 2.5 which is supposed to be able to reach speeds fo 2.5 gbps over coax. A cat6 ethernet wire is rated for 10 gbps. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

In terms of Verizon the ONT that they install is MoCA 1.1 so the coax is limited to 100 mbps. Any speeds over 100 mbps they have to run ethernet from the ONT to your router. They also typically run ethernet and any new installs these days. 

The latest version of MoCA is 2.5 which is supposed to be able to reach speeds fo 2.5 gbps over coax. A cat6 ethernet wire is rated for 10 gbps. 

Coax versus ethernet
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I have the Actiontec router. I'm thinking about upgrading to the quantum router. My Actiontec is connected to the ONT by coax. I know that I can ask FIOS to activate the ethernet port so that I can connect the Actiontec router via ethernet cable.

Does it make any difference whether the Actiontec router is connected by coax or ethernet? Is there an advantage of one over the other?

I'm also contemplating upgrading to the TV One & TV One mini. Can the TV One be connected either by coax or by ethernet? Does it make any difference? Is there an advantage of one over the other?

0 Likes
Re: Coax versus ethernet
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

I have the Actiontec router. I'm thinking about upgrading to the quantum router. My Actiontec is connected to the ONT by coax. I know that I can ask FIOS to activate the ethernet port so that I can connect the Actiontec router via ethernet cable.

Does it make any difference whether the Actiontec router is connected by coax or ethernet? Is there an advantage of one over the other?

I'm also contemplating upgrading to the TV One & TV One mini. Can the TV One be connected either by coax or by ethernet? Does it make any difference? Is there an advantage of one over the other?

It doesn’t really matter unless you upgrade your internet speed beyond 100 mbps or if you want to use your own router. 

Yes FiOS TV One can run on the coax there is no need to change the WAN to ethernet. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I learned something today! I didn't know that the ONT is limited to 100 mbps.

Does FIOS plan to upgrade the ONT to the current version of MoCA?

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

I learned something today! I didn't know that the ONT is limited to 100 mbps.

Does FIOS plan to upgrade the ONT to the current version of MoCA?

The newer GPON ONTs do 100 mbps over coax and the older BPONs max out at 75 mbps. It doesn’t seem like they plan to upgrade the MoCA on ONTs. They run ethernet on all installs now. Hopefully they do because it would be convenient. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

OK, I have related questions.

I live in an apartment. The ONT is in the utility room. So's a 23" TV & a QIP 7100 1 STB. A coax comes out of the ONT & connects to a 4-way splitter. One output of the splitter goes to the utility room STB. Another output goes to the router in the utility room. The 3rd output goes to the QIP 7232 2 STB in the living room. The STB in the living room is connected to the 55" TV by HDMI cable. Both STBs have an ethernet port on the back. It's easy to run an ethernet cable from the router in the utility room to the utility room STB. I don't want to run an ethernet cable from the utility room out the door, across the wall, into the living room & connect to the living room STB. Can the living room STB AND the utility room STB be connected wirelessly to the router? I could be wrong, but I don't think that it's possible to wirelessly connect my STBs to the router. I think that the TV One AND the TV One mini can be connected wirelessly to the router, can't they?

I want to get the TV One for the living room & the TV One mini for the utility room.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wherever you put the main TV One DVR it has to be connected via coax. The mini can be coax, ethernet, or wifi. The 7232 and 7100 both need coax. Neither can use ethernet or wifi. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Interesting!

Even though the 7232 & the 7100 both have ethernet ports, they can be connected only by coax.

The coax cable in the living room comes up out of the floor.

I'm thinking about putting an external HD antenna in the utility room & connecting it to both the utility room TV & the living room TV by coax splitter. But apparently the TV One DVR which will be in the living room must be connected by coax. I don't want to run a coax cable from the utility room to the living room.  And I don't want to get the HD Home RUN OTA boxes. DARN!

So, it looks like I'll be swapping out the STBs for the TV Ones.

SueT1
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Verizon I-211M-L ONT was installed in October 2018 and the datasheet states that it supports MoCA 2.0.

The Quantum Gateway user guide states:

The Ethernet WAN Internet connection supports 10/100/1000 Mbps. The LAN Ethernet connections support 10/100/1000 Mbps. The 802.11ac wireless connection supports up to 1300 Mbps and the 802.11n supports up to 450 Mbps, depending on signal quality. The Coax (MoCA 2.0) connection supports 700 Mbps.