COVID 19 Self-Install 3mb?
Xterest

So I used to have FIOS in my house about 4 months ago with 75/75 for the last 8 years. I tried to activate my FIOS again during Covid and ordered the smallest package they offer of 200/200. I was told they need a tech to install because they need to upgrade the ONT because as it cannot handle speed above 100mb, but because of covid can't come on site to do so. 

So I opted to get a self install package instead, and they said they can only give me the 3mb package. Having no choice I agreed as I needed internet as my Optimum internet was down for 2 days and I need to work from home as does my wife and kids. 

When they 1st activated the 3mb plan, my speed test showed 550m / 600m, but a few hours later they capped it to 3mb on the ONT. I called back to tell them my ONT supports the 200mb I ordered and to allow me self Install the 200m plan I originally ordered but they insisted they cannot do it.

You guys really need to make some exceptions during covid and allow people more than 3mb for self installs, at least make it 15 or 20, or allow me to have 200mb which is what I want. You are charging $60/m for 3mb while 200m costs $40m. It's not even about the money, its the principle of forcing people to 3mb because you want them to upgrade the ONTs, but not being able to during covid for obvious reasons.  So here I sit and as a network engineer capable of doing any install myself, waiting with a pending 200mb upgrade order until November when my ONT can be replaced, even though it can currenrky support the speed i ordered, but im forced to 3mb because of a internal Verizon procedure that does not work in the Covid world. I think an few exceptions are in order until Covid is passed us. 

0 Likes
Re: COVID 19 Self-Install 3mb?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're talking to other users here.  If you want to talk to Verizon, reach out to them via their Twitter support or https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.  These channels are often better then the phone reps.

Verizon does not allow users to install or replace ONTs at any time.  There is a risk of eye damage from the laser light on the fiber.

Depending on the model of ONT and WAN connection in use, Verizon's system will determine if a tech visit is required.  Since tech visits are on hold right now, it won't happen.  Tech visits are on hold because techs have gotten sick and some have perished.

If you post more details about your specific ONT, how it's WAN is connected (coax or Ethernet), and what router you have, we users may be able to tell you if there is a path to get Verizon to do a remote speed upgrade.  Pictures are useful.

PresterJohn

Great question. It makes sense to facilitate self-installs. Xterest below is very helpful in explaining the concern about the light damaging eyes. Detailed instructions and waivers are the way to go then. Those of us who are comfortable replacing the ONT should be able to do so.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That’s not possible for customers to upgrade the ONT. Upgrading the ONT also requires the tech to change a connection at one of their junction boxes. 

0 Likes
PresterJohn

Which is outside the home and therefore does not have COVID-related infection concerns.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That wasn't my point. I just trying to tell you that the newer ONT are completely different and have different connections. It would end up causing more problems. They can go and change your connection, but you will be out of service until you get the new ONT up and running. Then if you had a problem with your self install and couldn't get it working, you would be complaining that they weren't coming back out right away to help you. 

0 Likes
PresterJohn

So it is possible for customers to change the ONT box, with the technician doing whatever work needs to be done outside of the house. Your concern is that a customer could make a mistake. That's true of a router install, too. Challenging times requires thinking outside the box.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon does not allow customers to replace ONTs.  I haven't heard of the rules on this changing.

You still haven't provided any details about your current ONT and how it's connected.  If you provide those details, I and the other users here might be able to recommend a course of action that will lead to Verizon doing a remote speed upgrade.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

According to dslreports.com they are looking into temporary installs. You are just going to have to wait until the iron out all the details. 

0 Likes