Can I enter Google DNS in MI424WR Gen 2 router/modem?
GGA1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Actiontec MI424WR Gen 2 router/modem.

I want to use Google DNS. I had read that even if I enter the Google DNS that Verizon will overwrite them and use their own DNS. Is that true?

An option would be to diable the Verizon DNS and enter Google DNS in each computer/component. Would that be better?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I enter Google DNS in MI424WR Gen 2 router/modem?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

No you can use whatever DNS you want.

Entering DNS settings in the Verizon MI424WR router to opt out of DNS AssistanceNote: The Verizon MI424WR router screens may vary slightly from those shown below, depending on when you purchased your Verizon router and the version of firmware loaded on it.

1. Open a Web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 in the Address bar at the top of the screen.
    2. Enter your router user name and password into the login screen.
    3. Select your time zone in the Time Zone field.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Click My Network.
    6. Click Network Connections.
    7. Click the Edit icon for the Broadband Connection type that has "Connected" in the "Status" column. Don't confuse the Broadband Connection with the Network (Home/Office). In the example below, "Connected" is displayed in the Status column for the "Broadband Connection (Ethernet)," so the Edit icon would be clicked in the Action column of that row.

Network Connection

1. When the Broadband Connection Properties screen displays, look about halfway down the screen for the DNS Servers information. Write down the DNS server addresses, and then clickSettings at the bottom of the screen.

Broadband Connection Properties

1. Find the DNS Server area about halfway down the screen.

Figure depicting the DNS server settings

1. Change the last octet of the Primary and Secondary DNS Server addresses to 14. For Example:

You look up the DNS information and the server numbers are:
      • 123.123.123.12 Primary DNS
      • 123.123.123.12 Secondary DNS
      You would change the addresses to the following when statically assigning them to the computer or modem/router.
      • 123.123.123.14 Primary DNS
      • 123.123.123.14 Secondary DNS
      Note that the .14 is the special set of servers that will opt you out of the DNS Assistance program.

1. Click Apply.
  2. Click Apply to confirm that you won't be able to connect to Verizon while the DNS server information is saved.
  3. Review the updated Network (Home/Office) DNS settings to confirm your new DNS settings have been saved.
  4. Click Apply.
  5. Close the Verizon MI424WR router setup window.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. After your computer restarts, open a web browser and enter http://www.verizon.com/ to test your new DNS settings. The Verizon home page should display.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

No you can use whatever DNS you want.

Entering DNS settings in the Verizon MI424WR router to opt out of DNS AssistanceNote: The Verizon MI424WR router screens may vary slightly from those shown below, depending on when you purchased your Verizon router and the version of firmware loaded on it.

1. Open a Web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 in the Address bar at the top of the screen.
    2. Enter your router user name and password into the login screen.
    3. Select your time zone in the Time Zone field.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Click My Network.
    6. Click Network Connections.
    7. Click the Edit icon for the Broadband Connection type that has "Connected" in the "Status" column. Don't confuse the Broadband Connection with the Network (Home/Office). In the example below, "Connected" is displayed in the Status column for the "Broadband Connection (Ethernet)," so the Edit icon would be clicked in the Action column of that row.

Network Connection

1. When the Broadband Connection Properties screen displays, look about halfway down the screen for the DNS Servers information. Write down the DNS server addresses, and then clickSettings at the bottom of the screen.

Broadband Connection Properties

1. Find the DNS Server area about halfway down the screen.

Figure depicting the DNS server settings

1. Change the last octet of the Primary and Secondary DNS Server addresses to 14. For Example:

You would change the addresses to the following when statically assigning them to the computer or modem/router.
      Note that the .14 is the special set of servers that will opt you out of the DNS Assistance program.

1. Click Apply.
  2. Click Apply to confirm that you won't be able to connect to Verizon while the DNS server information is saved.
  3. Review the updated Network (Home/Office) DNS settings to confirm your new DNS settings have been saved.
  4. Click Apply.
  5. Close the Verizon MI424WR router setup window.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. After your computer restarts, open a web browser and enter http://www.verizon.com/ to test your new DNS settings. The Verizon home page should display.
0 Likes
GGA1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.

According to the instructions I am supposed to change Google DNS 8.8.8.8. to 8.8.8.14 and 8.8.4.4 to 8.8.4.14. Is that correct?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You would be fine using the original DNS that Google uses,  so enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

0 Likes
JayBofMA1

Update:

You can now use the free consumer DNS service tuned for the best performance.  They are:

Primary: 1.1.1.1

Secondary: 1.0.0.1

These came live 4/1/2018, and that is no April Fools' joke.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes