Can I install a store-bought modem?
Quickdraw95
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am have had sporadic connection issues for years now, and endless hours with Tech Support never really fix the problem.  Generally, doing nothing at all is just as likley to fix it as all the tinkering they have me do.   I thought that perhaps my 5 year old modem might be the problem, so I bought an Actiontec GT784WN moden/router as a replacement, but I cannot get it to hook up to DSL.   I read on a forum that Verizon "binds" the modem to the IP address, so I can't switch it out without spoofing the MAC address, which I don't want to do.  So, can I install this modem, or do I have to buy another one from Verizon?  If I can do it, what steps do I need to take to make sure Verizon recognizes it?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I install a store-bought modem?
Quickdraw95
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, after another discussion with tech support, it looks like I have a bad modem.  I am sending it back...  oh well.    In any case, thank you to all those who tried to help me!  This is a great resource...

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The MAC Binding you're talking about occurs in areas where Verizon uses DHCP, instead of PPPoE to allow the modems to communicate with the network. If your old modem was configured using PPPoE, your new modem should be configured the same way. It's also best to make sure your modem has the correct ATM Virtual Circuit settings (aka, VC Settings). If your old modem is using DHCP to obtain IP information from Verizon, just leave your modem powered off overnight and then power up the new ActionTec. It should sync and obtain information within a minute.

Quickdraw95
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the answer!  That cleared up one concern, but sadly did not fix my problem.  I was able to comfirm that the existing modem connects via PPPoe, so the DHCP thing is not the issue.  However, after spending an hour or so  with Actiontec Tech Support talking to a very nice but clueless gentleman on the other side of the world, I am still stuck.  Maybe the smart people here can help - this is very odd.   When I connect the modem in the proper order as described in the direction (hook up modem, then hook up ethernet to computer) , I cannot connect to the modem.  However, if I reverse the steps, here's what happens:    (1)   I power up the modem  (2) connect the Ethernet line  (3) :Launch IE, and type in the modem address (192.168.0.1) 

At this point, I can see the modem setup pages, and have all the normal options to set it up.  However, as soon as I connect the phone line and the modem finishes syncing with the DSL and goes solid green, I lose the connection between my computer and the setup screens for the modem - that is, the "192.168.0.1" address no longer works - it says "unable to connect".   If I unplug the DSL line, reboot the modem, and try again while not connected to the phone line, I can see everything again.   Any idea why the act of establishing the DSL connection is making it impossible for my computer to see the modem? 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the ActionTec even manage to obtain DSL sync? The DSL light should turn solid if it is syncing correctly. If it's not, it sounds like whenever it attempts to sync the WebUI is locking up. It's possible the ActionTec could be changing it's administration address whenever it does connect, but I've never heard of an ActionTec doing that.

Quickdraw95
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, the modem appears to sync up with DSL correctly - that is the exact moment I lose the ability to access the modem via Internet Explorer.  When I plug in the phone line, I can click on any function on the modem page (192.168...) and everything works while the green light is flashing and not yet sync'd.  The instant that the light goes solid green, however, I lose the ability to "see" the modem - the next thing I click on at the "192" page causes that screen to go away, and I get an "unable to display page" error.  It is as if the DSL sync is cutting my ethernet line.  COuld this be a defective modem, or is there a setting I can try?

Quickdraw95
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, after another discussion with tech support, it looks like I have a bad modem.  I am sending it back...  oh well.    In any case, thank you to all those who tried to help me!  This is a great resource...

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let us know what the outcome of the replacement is, if you are asking for another one! Sometimes when it proves to be a software issue, performing a reset and then installing the latest firmware, and then resetting again tends to help. Of course if the hardware is defective it might just brick the unit.

JonColl11

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster, even with a replacement modem.  I can connect to the configuration pages until I plug in the DSL line.  I've upgraded the firmware and tried power cycling and factory resets.  After some fiddling around, I noticed that in the Broadband settings page there's a line mode option.  Selecting T1.413, ADSL2, or ADSL2+ leads to the DSL indicator light just continuously blinking.  Setting the line mode to G.DMT or Multimode leads to the original problem.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.

0 Likes
turnertodd

I am also having the exact same problem. I bought the Actiontec GT784WN from Amazon.com because it claimed to be compatible with Verizon DSL. Unfortunately, I can't connect to the setup IP address once the DSL stops flashing, so the setup never completes and I end up with no internet connection. Has any solution been found?? Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes