Can I use WCB6200 Extender with Fios Router G3100
drrich711
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got the new 3100 router, and it has instructions for pairing it with a network extender,  These instructions, however seem specific for the E3200 Extender.

Will the older extender (WCB6200Q) work with the 3100 router?  If so, how do I pair them?

Last and unrelated question-does enabling a guest network affect the speed or bandwidth of the primary home network?

0 Likes
Router/Extender Pairing
drrich711
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi-

I just got a 3100 router, and I have an older 6200WCBQ extender.

The instructions for pairing say to place them next to one another, and push both buttons for two seconds, until the lights on both blink blue.

There is NO blue light on this extender.  Only green.

Is this extender compatible with the new router?

Can I pair them?  Do I need to?

Will they both operate on a single network (not separate 2.4 and 5)?

Help appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Router/Extender Pairing
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not recommend using WPS buttons to pair two devices (even it cannot be done). For setting up an extender, I would go to both devices' Web GUI and configure them from there.

WCB6200Q requires either a coax or ethernet linkage to G3100 (not just during the setup, but for it to function). Since WCB6200Q does not support meshed WLAN, you need to change its SSIDs and passwords to those of the G3100.

If you have more questions, please ask.

Re: Can I use WCB6200 Extender with Fios Router G3100
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Will the WCB6200Q work with G3100? Yes.

How to "pair" them? You need a wired uplink from WCB6200Q to G3100, either ethernet or coax is fine. When using coax, make sure you enable LAN coax on G3100. Once the connection is established, go to both devices' Web GUI Config and change WCB6200Q's SSIDs and passwords to those of G3100. Supporting WLAN protocols (i.e. 802.11ax/ac/n/g/b/a) should be the same on both devices for each frequency as well.

If you need detailed instructions, please ask.

"Does enabling a guest network affect the speed or bandwidth of the primary home network?"

I think you mean: does Guest WLAN affect the bandwidth of the main wireless networks?

Yes. G3100 needs to divert processing power to handle the traffic on Guest WALN.

drrich711
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  The extender/router are both connected to the network via coax.  Is this the connection to which you were referring?

How do I get to the settings for this extender?  I have an admin name and password, but I don't know the IP or URL.

Lastly since the router has only one network, and the extender calls for one on each band, do I set up 2 on the extender both with the same name as the router?  Or do I disable one of the two?  And, will this pair work as a "self organizing network" as the 3100 router does by itself?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coax link is fine as per your situation.

You should disable "Self-organizing network," as it produces more hassle than help. G3100 should have two frequencies and two SSIDs. For instance, the 2.4GHz is "FiOS-WS23P" and the 5 GHz is "FiOS-WS23P-5G." If you only see one, then either your device does not support 5GHz WiFi or it is disabled on G3100.

On WCB6200Q, 2.4GHz SSID and password should be the same SSID and password of the G3100's 2.4GHz, the same for 5GHz. How to find your WCB6200Q's IP address, good question. Go to My Networks connection list on G3100 and locate WCB6200Q as the device name, its IP should be the IP of the extender.

drrich711
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, the saga continues.

I have the 6200 extender connected via coax, and this is enabled in the router settings.  The extender is not visible in the device list, I would suspect because the SSID for both 2.4 and 5 is different with the new router, and the extender has the old network name, etc.  There is no way for me to access the extender settings.

Suggestions on how to get to the extender settings to change things to the new network name, etc. would be appreciated.

😥

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do not rely on the Device List on G3100, it takes some time for the router to ping scan every IP.

To see whether the MoCA is connected correctly, go to LAN Coax status page. You should see all the information there.

My Networks -> Network Connections -> Network (Home/Office) -> Coax -> Settings -> LAN Coax Status.

LTCret
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you provide detailed instructions for this.  I have the same problem.  How do I connect my extender to the G3100.

LTCret
Enthusiast - Level 2

where do you find the path listed is this on the 3100 or within windows?

0 Likes