Can I use my Quantum G1100 Router as an extender to my 3100?
NJGamer

I switched over to the 3100 router after a few years on the Quantum g1100. Coverage is slightly better but I still have a couple of rooms with spotty 5G coverage at one end of the house. I see Verizon has a 3200 extender, but it costs $200. I still have the 1100. I have a bunch of coax running all over the place from when I had FIOS tv, but I stream now. Can I configure the 1100 as an extender to the 3100? Can I connect the 1100 back to the 3100 using the coax cable already sitting there? If so, has anyone seen detailed instructions on how to do this? Are there any drawbacks to this approach such that I should just cough up the $200 and use the 3200? Thanks for any help.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I use my Quantum G1100 Router as an extender to my 3100?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check out my earlier post. https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Can-you-use-the-g3100-and-g1000-together/m-p/902820#M828...

I am going to locate the post with the detailed instruction later.

Just a side point, why do you have the G3100? Did you upgrade to gigabit or just bought the router yourself? What speed are you pulling from 802.12ax (WiFi 6)?

0 Likes
NJGamer

Went to the 3100 for a few reasons - I was having coverage problems in my house and wanted (hoped for) a better 5G footprint from the 3100. With early Covid days, I had three people working (video calls, etc.) and a college student taking online classes so I hoped for better LAN traffic management and I liked the technology creep to the shinier new object.  By the question I asked you may guess I didn't get the footprint I hoped for from the 3100. It was a little better than the 1100, but not all that much in my experience. I've also seen spotty 5G availability in different parts of the house. It seems to come and go and the MacBook users do better at finding the 5G signal than do the windows and Amazon Firestick devices. I'm seeing 72GB LAN speeds on a laptop 12' from the router and 470GB speeds on a wired PC. I figured out the settings for the 3100 to my old 1100 (coax connected) and that works fine in extending the footprint. I did see longer ping speeds on the windows devices connected to the 1100 using speedtest. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Restrained by FCC rules and technology, 5GHz WiFi's coverage is not that great. If you want to solely resolve the coverage problem, I suggest you to buy a used Verizon-branded WCB6200Q ($75) from Ebay to use with G1100. They are "friends."

I recommend that you should get what you need. For improving WiFi, buy an access point. You don't need a router because you are not improving switching or routing.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes