Can't Connect to internet on Desktop w/ USB wireless adapter
darthmaul218

The adapter is working fine. I can connect to the hot spot on my cell phone. and it connects directly to the internet through my phone.  My Fios network is not even listed as an option to connect. Does Fios allow you to connect using an adapter? I have a  Fios modum and router GIG Speed w/extender . Listed below is the adapter.

OURLINK 600Mbps AC600 Dual Band USB WiFi Dongle & Wireless Network Adapter for Laptop/Desktop Computer - Backward Compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n Products (2.4 GHz 150Mbps, 5GHz 433Mbps)

0 Likes
Re: Can't Connect to internet on Desktop w/ USB wireless adapter
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suspect what is going on and I will tell you shortly but first thing first.

For helpers to help you better, it would help to know the exact brand and model of your router.

Anyways moving along...

#1 Perhaps your Wi-Fi network is hidden? If that is the case, stop hiding your Wi-Fi Network as:

a) Your network is not really hidden. Someone with the right tools can detect your network.

b) It causes all kinds of issues.

#2 Perhaps your Wi-Fi network is using MAC Address filtering? If that is the case, you need to stop doing that, as:

a) MAC/Physical/Hardware Address(es) are always sent in the clear regardless of the level of encryption. VPN, wireless encryption (WEP/WPA/WPA2/WPA3).

b) It is possible to spoof/clone the MAC Address. Like saying that you are someone but are not that someone - but for networks.

#3 Perhaps the two Wi-FI MHzs are the same SSID? There is 2.4 and 5 MHz. With SON they are one SSID. It would help that they are not the same.

#4 OR the Wi-Fi part of the unit could be broken? As how to test this, you need to rule out of the other things above before this could be what is happening/happened.

0 Likes
darthmaul218

Thanks for answering so quickly. I don't think my network is hidden. It's discover able on all my other wireless devices ( cell phones,laptops,Roku & Fire TV. ) Could it be hidden at the point of my desktop?  Its a Verizon/Fios Home Router G3100

0 Likes
Trikein
Enthusiast - Level 3

What model is the adapter? WU631 or WU636? Have you tried updating the drivers? See link below for drivers.

https://ourlink.us/driver-download/

0 Likes
darthmaul218

Thanks for answering. Model WU631 . 

I checked the drivers It said drivers are up to date. 

Remember the adapter to working. Since It could't discover (Fios) my network I used a different one with a hot spot on my phone My desktop discovered that network using the ourlink adapter. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Because your wireless NIC has Backward Compatible built in to it, I do not think it has anything to deal with Network Mode.

#2 Where Network Mode (or what it called in your router if not that) = Mixed, Wireless N only, Wireless B/G only, ETC...

I found the manual/user's guide at https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/onecmsresource/home-router-usermanual_new.pdf

#3 After logging into the router's UI with a computer that can get access to it's UI, go to Wi-FI -> Basic Settings.

#4 Be sure that the Status is on. I suspect that it is on as it should be.

#5 Under that is the SSID. Double or even triple check to be sure that you have the right SSID.

#6 Under that is the security setting. Be sure that is enabled and be sure that you have the right password. Click on Show Password as need be.

#7 After saving as need be, go to Wireless -> Advanced Settings

#8 For Broadcast, make sure that is Enabled.

#9 For MAC Address AUTHENTICaTION, be sure that Enable Access List is not checked.

#10 For the Mode, as I said earlier that should be ok with that NIC. I am not saying that is ok with all of the computers that you have connected by wireless. Compatibility mode is the default and should be ok unless you need something else.

#11 All of the other settings below, leave them alone unless you know what you are doing.

b) I am not sure that they ( All of the other settings below) will cause this issue, but please report what they are set to.

#12 Save your settings as need be, then in the router at Wireless -> Channel Settings, please report back what that is set to. Automatic or a certain channel (or channels considering 2.4 and 5 GHz exist).

#13 There is Wireless -> Guest Network area too.

#14 Be sure that it is a different SSID from your main networks 2.4 and 5 GHz, if it set to on.

#15 There is the Wireless WPS area too.

#16 Report back if it is set to On or Off.

0 Likes
darthmaul218

EVERY OTHER WIRELESS DEVICE CONNECTS WITH NO PROBLEM I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CHANGE ANYTHING ON MY ROUTER. WHEN I HAD COMCAST IT WORKED PERFECTLY. FIOS IS A MESS. THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I MADE WAS TO SWITCH TO FIOS FROM COMCAST. FIOS IS A TOTAL AND COMPLETE JOKE.HOW ARE THEY NOT BEING CRUSHED BY COMCAST(MAYBE THEY ARE). IF YOU HAVE TO GO TO A COMMUNITY QUESTION BOARD TO GET AN ANSWER FOR A PROBLEM THAT TECH SUPPORT SHOULD BE ABLE TO ANSWER IS PROOF ENOUGH. ALSO THERE WEBSITE IS SLOW ALL THE TIME. BILLION DOLLAR COMPANIES SHOULD NOT HAVE SLOW WEBSITES.  FOR MY SIN OF SWITCHING I WILL HAVE TO PAY THE $$ PENALTY TO GO BACK TO INFINITY COMCAST. DEAR BABY JESUS I'M SORRY FOR MY SINS  

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi darthmaul218,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary and may be delayed at this time. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes