Can't Self-Install Fios Internet in Old House - No Ethernet or Coax
ggk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon installed an ONT (outside) in late 2017 when moving the geographical region to Digital Voice. We just last week signed up, over the phone, for Fios gigabit internet (no TV), and they sent a self-install kit and said it was all we would need.

Our house was built in the 1950s. There are no ethernet jacks, and the only coax line is the one they ran from the ONT to the backup inside. How can we hook up the router? Shoudn't Verizon have sent a tech?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't Self-Install Fios Internet in Old House - No Ethernet or Coax
jonjones1
Legend

You can call 1-800-VERIZON and tell them to switch on ethernet on the ONT.

that will not be an issue.

now if I were you and as a suggestion have Verizon send out an installer. They will install the ethernet for you. They can and do drill through outside walls. It is just a question of where the ONT is located on the outside and where you want the router to be placed. If you get an electrician on your own it may run you $125+ an hour (going rate where I live) now Verizon may do the install for free. If not the installer can tell you the rate. ($99-$160) so let Verizon worry about where to put it.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

They did self install because ont was fairly new.

But gigabit requires Ethernet.

So you can find someone (like a local electrician) to have someone run an Ethernet cable from ont to where your router is. They would probably be cheaper and do a better job.

ggk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. 

I read a bunch of (possibly outdated) information saying that the ethernet port on the ONT is inactive by default and that you have to contact Verizon to turn it on. Is that the case? If so, I’m assuming we would need Verizon to activate the ethernet before getting a non-Verizon tech to run a line. 

Hoping that this setback doesn’t put too much more delay or expense into a service that can’t currently be used. What is the ballpark cost for running just one ethernet line? 

There is a potential location to run a line inside that is not a far path from the ONT, but what do I know? The house exterior is brick and the interior walls are plaster; there is no basement, and no workable attic access. (I also need to read more about router placement.)

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You can call 1-800-VERIZON and tell them to switch on ethernet on the ONT.

that will not be an issue.

now if I were you and as a suggestion have Verizon send out an installer. They will install the ethernet for you. They can and do drill through outside walls. It is just a question of where the ONT is located on the outside and where you want the router to be placed. If you get an electrician on your own it may run you $125+ an hour (going rate where I live) now Verizon may do the install for free. If not the installer can tell you the rate. ($99-$160) so let Verizon worry about where to put it.

ggk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you both for the information you provided. Called Verizon and a tech is coming Tuesday morning. Visit fee was waived, and the rep quoted $60 for a single ethernet line. Hopefully, the tech is creative and patient enough to deal with the logistics of this old house. Fingers crossed. Thanks again!

0 Likes