Canary cameras suddenly won't connect to Fios G1100 router
KMO5

Lost most of the weekend trying to resolve 2 wifi security camera connectivity issues.  I am not great technically but read lots of posts and researched and tried some tweaks on my own.

Background: Had 2 canary cameras for a couple years.  Have not had many connectivity issues with them during that time.  Last week I had to unplug my Fios Quantum G1100 router (connected via coax) for a few minutes and noticed within a few hours my wifi cameras wouldn't connect automatically, and would not connect when I tried to reconnect them again with password.

I have tried so many things over the weekend including removing them from the Canary App and re-adding them, deleting the canary app and readding, resetting my router and starting over, separating my 2.4 and 5 ghz bands with different names, ensuring my iphone was on 2.4 when trying to connect the device, giving the cameras a static lease in the router etc, for a brief window of testing time I dropped my firewall to low security (didn't open specific ports because I wasn't quite sure how and wasn't sure that was a good long term answer).

I also checked that the 2.4 band is compatible b/g/n.

What is interesting is that I can connected a camera successfully via ethernet.  While still attached via ethernet I connected that camera to wifi.  When I unplugged the ethernet from back of camera - the camera in fact stayed on wifi.  I was able to ping it from the router and view video through the canary app.  Once I unplug the camera from the outlet and move it to its desired location it won't reconnect, even when I try to put in a password.  Just get an error saying network cannot be found.

I am thinking it has to be something that changed when my router rebooted last week.  I am not sure what else to try and get a little lost when reading about subnets etc.  Perhaps creating a static lease is not enough. 

It is definitely failing when it is renogiating that wifi connection when transferred to a new electrical outlet.

BTW I tried things with the second camera as well so that tells me it is not a bad camera.

Of course there is no number to call Canary for support.  I tried some of their suggestions posted in their help - to no avail.  I did write them over the weekend but thought I could post my question here in case someone had a similar experience.

I may be missing some details needed for someone to give feedback so apologies if I have and please let me know.

Thanks for listening 🙂

0 Likes
Re: Canary cameras suddenly won't connect to Fios G1100 router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you still seeing both SSIDs. The router might have updated with SON enabled. To disable SON. Go to Wireless settings > Advanced Security settings >  Other Advanced Wireless Options > Yes then set Self-Organizing Network Enabled to Off scroll down and click Apply.

0 Likes
KMO5

Thank you for your reply!  I checked and the SON is disabled.  I do see both SSIDs.

0 Likes
Kranzyboy

I am having the very same issue.  I’ve had 2 Keekoon cameras for a couple years with no issues.  All of a sudden in past month I can’t connect to them.  However the one thing I noticed was that I can see them fine on my phone app when I am on the home wifi network.  I cannot see them once I disconnect from wifi and am connected to the 4G wireless network (I always could in the past).  These cameras are meant to monitor the house when I am not at home so this makes the cameras useless now.  I thought this was a port forwarding issue, but the firmware on this router seems to have changed in recent months (probably why the cameras don’t work now).  The port forwarding rules seem problematic.  I can choose one of the cameras and forward to port 80 but I can only do one camera. Plus it doesnt work anyway.  Any thoughts?  I have the same router Fios-G1100. SON is also off.  I read online that Verizon rolled out a security update back in July/August,... so I assume this is why everything stopped working.  Just great. 

0 Likes