Cannot Connect to A Website
Cora
Contributor - Level 1

Hello,

Several months ago I read in Security Garden about WinPatrol having a forum in Landzdown.com.  I have used Landzdown in the past and was quite familiar with that site.  I typed in the address using the FireFox browser and the attempt at a connection timed-out.  I then tried with Internet Explorer and Chrome and could not connect with either browser.

I have since had 2 persons try Landzdown.com and both reported connecting to the website without any problems.  I recently turned off my firewall (Windows firewall) and again tried using each of the 3 browsers listed above.  I also turned off my security program (Microsoft Security Essentials) with the same results.

The following is the result from each browser:

1.  IE -  IE cannot be display web page or will redirect to Google.com search results for Landzdown.com.

2.  FF- The connection has timed out
The server at www.landzdown.com is taking too long to respond.

3.  Chrome -  Oops!  Google Chrome could not connect to Landzdown.com.

Try reloading:  Landzdown.com

I hoope someone can help me with this problem.

Thank  you.                                                                                                                             

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot Connect to A Website
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I doubt Verizon is blocking their site. More than likely it's a router with a bad routing table along the line gumming up the works, not a block (which Verizon could always do). Here's a traceroute from my connection that suggests that:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>tracert www.landzdown.com

Tracing route to landzdown.com [74.55.178.34]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.3.1]
  2     8 ms     9 ms     9 ms  10.15.3.1
  3  10.15.3.1  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\>

And yes, I am the same Smith6612 from DSLReports 🙂 I couldn't bring in my yellow smiley since this forum doesn't allow for custom avatars.

View solution in original post

cas1231
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using Mozilla Firefox and it is not working for me either. The website must be down.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Their site is online and well. I'm not home at the moment but my webserver in Chicago is able to view the site.

Perform a traceroute to their website by doing the following:

Open Command Prompt (By going to Start > Run >typing in "cmd" and pressing OK, OR by using the start menu search box for cmd and running cmd) and run the following command:

tracert landzdown.com

Post up the results of the Traceroute that you obtain. You can do this by selecting the cmd icon at the top of the window, going to Edit, and choosing Select All. From there, press Enter and Paste the results into a post here.

Cora
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you both for your assistance.  Smith6612, are you the same Smith6612 from dslreports.com?  If you are, it is a small world since you are one of my dslreports' buddies.  I miss the bright yellow smiley.  Wishing you well.

Below is a copy of the Trace Route:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXXX>tracert landzdown.com
Tracing route to landzdown.com [74.55.178.34] over a maximum of 30 hops:
1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  dslrouter [192.168.1.1] 

2    30 ms    29 ms    30 ms 10.32.145.1 

3     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

4     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

5     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

6     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

7     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

8     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

9     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

10     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

11     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

12     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

13     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

14     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

15     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

16     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

17     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

18     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

19     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

20     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

21     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

22     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

23     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

24     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

25     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

26     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

27     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

28     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

29     *        *        *     Request timed out. 

30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.
C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXX>

ky331
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am experiencing the same problem... I could not access Landzdown.com ... from my HOME.   But upon bringing my laptop to work, I am now able to acces it.

To me, that rules out any security on my system (e.g., HOSTS file, anti-virus, &etc) as being the culprit.

The only difference is that I am now going through my work's ISP, as opposed to Verizon when at home.

Is there any possibility that Verizon, for whatever their reason, is blocking (perhaps unintentionally) Landzdown.com ?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I doubt Verizon is blocking their site. More than likely it's a router with a bad routing table along the line gumming up the works, not a block (which Verizon could always do). Here's a traceroute from my connection that suggests that:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>tracert www.landzdown.com

Tracing route to landzdown.com [74.55.178.34]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.3.1]
  2     8 ms     9 ms     9 ms  10.15.3.1
  3  10.15.3.1  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\>

And yes, I am the same Smith6612 from DSLReports 🙂 I couldn't bring in my yellow smiley since this forum doesn't allow for custom avatars.

Cora
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you Smith6612.  At least now I know the problem is not on my end.  What happens next, will Verizon be made aware of this problem?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'll see to it that someone in Verizon takes a look at this. No guarantees that Verizon may be able to solve it though.

0 Likes
Escalation Request Re: Cannot Connect to A Website
Corrine3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi.  I am an admistrator at LandzDown Forum (http://www.landzdown.com IP 74.55.178.34).and discovered Cora's problem via another site.  Coincidentally, I was notified today by {edited for privacy} (developer of WinPatrol) that he had been contacted by others who were trying to get to the WinPatrol help forum at LandzDown but were not able to access the site. 

As it turns out, early in May I was contacted by a Verizon customer who lives in Maryland that she had been unable to access LandzDown.com for a number of days.  She spent hours on the phone with Verizon technical support, her modem was replaced, all to no avail.  She also discovered that her neighbor and children who live several miles away and are also Verizon customers could not access the site.

So, just from this thread, we have Verizon customers Cora, cas123, Smith6612, and ky331 who cannot access the site.  Add to that the four different Verizon customers in Maryland, and Verizon customers from the Schnectady and New York City areas that I am also aware of and this appears to be a wide-spread problem.

It does seem strange that the traceroutes I've seen either time out at the router or yield a "Destination net unreachable." error at the first stop.  Whether this is a peering issue or not, it is rather strange that http://landzdown.com is the ONLY site that these Verizon customers cannot access.

Please advise whether there is another route that should be taken in order to get this issue escalated.

Thank you.

Re: Escalation Request Re: Cannot Connect to A Website
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If it is being lost on the 3rd hop, there is a routing issue. We would need one of the effected customers to contact us directly so we can investigate and test with our ipNOC. If anyone is still experiencing this issue, please send me a direct message so we can investigate it.