Re: Cannot send outgoing emails from outlook Express
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

Are you using 2 mail clients as I am?  I use both Outlook and Outlook Express.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Rick5472 wrote:

Are you using 2 mail clients as I am?  I use both Outlook and Outlook Express.

No, I just use OE. And of course the webmail interface to take a quick look at the SPAM folder before I delete everything there, every once in a while it does put a legitimate email in there.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

I am wondering if I can use another port to send email (outgoing)  in case my work could possibly be blocking port 25?  Just to see if that could be the problem?

Does anyone know of other port numbers to use for outgoing email?

-Rick

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Rick5472 wrote:

I am wondering if I can use another port to send email (outgoing)  in case my work could possibly be blocking port 25?  Just to see if that could be the problem?

Does anyone know of other port numbers to use for outgoing email?

-Rick

I just tried port 587 for sending and it worked for me, so you might try it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

I changed the outgoing port to 587 and was able to send outgoing email.  Does anyone know if this is ok?  What is port 587?

-Rick

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Great, at least you are now working.

Here is a link to a thread here on the forums that talks about that port:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&message.id=3740&query.id=63697#M...

I searched here on the forums using "verizon email port" and found it. I vaguely remembered reading this some time back and trying port 587 and it worked, even though my email is .net. But I went back to 25 just because I had been using it so long, and don't have any problems with it.

Sorry I didn't remember it sooner....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2
Thanks Justin....I seem to be good to go.  It must be my work that is blocking port 25 if you aren't having any problem using it.
0 Likes
terry

I had no problem sending mail until today.  Everything I tried to send I got the error message below.  None of the mail I was trying to send was spam.

An unknown error has occurred. Subject '', Account: 'Terry Gendron', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 The message you attempted to send was determined to be spam. Please visit http://www.verizon.net/spamfaq for more information.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Socket Error: 2, Error Number: 0x800CCC69

0 Likes
VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1

@terry wrote:

I had no problem sending mail until today.  Everything I tried to send I got the error message below.  None of the mail I was trying to send was spam.

An unknown error has occurred. Subject '', Account: 'Terry Gendron', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 The message you attempted to send was determined to be spam. Please visit http://www.verizon.net/spamfaq for more information.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Socket Error: 2, Error Number: 0x800CCC69

Terry have you looked to see if a message is hung up in your outbox?  Check the outbox and move what is there to your drafts folder and try to send/recieve again.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Terry,

Did you visit the Spam FAQ page listed in the error? It explains what the error is, why they're filtering, what you can do about it...

Mostly these particular questions I think would be helpful to you:

What should I do if I receive a spam notification message when I attempt to send email?
Sending spam from the Verizon.net domain is prohibited by the Acceptable Use Policy

http://netservices.verizon.net/portal/link/main/policies.

If you feel we identified your email in error, you may forward the suspected email message as an attachment to spamdetector.update@verizon.net . The message will be examined by third party anti-spam experts. If the message is found to be legitimate, Verizon is notified to adjust or modify the spam filter which caught your message. You will not receive any notification following the review process.

How does Verizon determine whether my E-mail is SPAM?
Verizon uses a third party vendor to scan email messages for spam. Their systems use a combination of proprietary anti-spam techniques and spam complaints sent from users across the Internet to create spam filters. The false positive rate is very low.

Should you feel an email message was caught in error, please forward the suspected email message as an attachment to: spamdetector.update@verizon.net .

Also, not contained in that document are a few troubleshooting steps that have been suggested:

If you have a signature, try removing one line at a time from it and attempting to send the message again. Some signatures look like "ads" to the filters, apparently.

If you are using a pop3 client (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.) try sending your message from the verizon.net website. If this resolves the issue, then it is something that your client is adding to the message that is causing it to be blocked.