Cate5e cable run from ONT to Router
LEWB1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am installing cat5e cable so I can do away with Verizon Quantum router. I am running the internet cable directly to my Orbi RBR50 router. Does this run need to be one solid, uninterrupted cable? I am coming in through my attic into the side of my bedroom then around the wall under the carpet. I am planning on putting a Ethernet wall plate there and have the cable run in two sections. Is this okay?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cate5e cable run from ONT to Router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

An uninterrupted cable? A definite no. You can splice the ethernet cable as many times as you want (perhaps not, to avoid excessive signal degradation).

Ethernet cables are layer 1 devices (physical link). They can be extended with a total length not exceeding 300ft.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

An uninterrupted cable? A definite no. You can splice the ethernet cable as many times as you want (perhaps not, to avoid excessive signal degradation).

Ethernet cables are layer 1 devices (physical link). They can be extended with a total length not exceeding 300ft.

LEWB1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you. I didn’t think it mattered. Just wanted to check and make sure. Thanks again. 

0 Likes