Certain websites don't load or hang up: I recently changed from FIOS router to Linksys EA7300
TG110

Hello All,

I have been a FIOS customer for a few years - currenlt Internet Only 100/100.

I had a FIOS router for a few years and decided to replace it with my own router. I connected to Linsys EA7300. 

Since I started using the Linsys router, certain websites actually hang (stop streaming) after a few minutes of use...  I have changed settings on the router (from google searches and Linsys support site) with no change..

So, I have two options now: 

-  return the Linksys and purchase another model/brand OR

-  purchase FIOS router (which will make me a bit unhappy).

I need your help with either a solution for the Linsys EA7300 and/or suggesting some proven brand/models that work well with FIOS..

Appreiate your help in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Certain websites don't load or hang up: I recently changed from FIOS router to Linksys EA7300
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't used a Verizon router - ever really. That's over a decade, now. One suggestion I have is to use alternate DNS servers if you aren't already. See: Opt Out of DNS Assistance and Free and Public DNS Servers. I use:

NAMESERVER_1="71.252.0.14"          # ISP's Nameserver primary
NAMESERVER_2="68.237.161.14"        # ISP's Nameserver primary
NAMESERVER_3="8.8.8.8"              # Google's Open DNS server

See if that helps.

View solution in original post

Re: Certain websites don't load or hang up: I recently changed from FIOS router to Linksys EA7300
jonjones1
Legend

You may simply have bottleneck in your area. Or you could try doing an release/renew on the router and you could simply reset your router via the reset button and use the setup routine for your router.

i use a Netgear Nighthawk however it costs over $400 and it is great. When you say certain websites hang do you mean via direct connection? Or wifi? If wifi that is a non issue. However like i said you may have congestion. Verizon fios customer support will not fix your own router, only up to your ONT

look into either a Netgear or Asus or TP Link which is AC and has external antennas for better wifi coverage. At 100/100 any decent router should get that speed and slightly above. 

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't used a Verizon router - ever really. That's over a decade, now. One suggestion I have is to use alternate DNS servers if you aren't already. See: Opt Out of DNS Assistance and Free and Public DNS Servers. I use:

NAMESERVER_1="71.252.0.14"          # ISP's Nameserver primary
NAMESERVER_2="68.237.161.14"        # ISP's Nameserver primary
NAMESERVER_3="8.8.8.8"              # Google's Open DNS server

See if that helps.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your router's firmware up to date? Wired and wireless both seeing the same issue?