Changing DNS info on a Macintosh
SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

I have just read a closed thread on changing one's DNS on an Actiontec modem/router.

I have one iMac and two MacBook Pros on my LAN, all running High Sierra.

I know that I can change my DNS on these computers, one by one, by going to System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS and inputting the primary & secondary addresses of the new DNS.

My question is, will these changes be "respected" by the Actiontec or will the Actiontec ignore them and use the DNS settings it has in its settings?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Changing DNS info on a Macintosh
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ActionTec will continue using the DNS Servers provided by Verizon's DHCP reply, unless the DNS server information is updated under My Network > Network Connections > WAN Connection (Coax or Ethernet) > DNS Servers.

By setting DNS on the Mac, the Mac will simply use the provided DNS servers, ignoring what the router offers up via DHCP (itself).

0 Likes
SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

I am really sorry to trouble you for clarification, but my wife and I read your response several times and we are unclear as to its meaning.

You seem to suggest one thing in the first paragraph and something else in the second.

If I may rephrase my original question:  If I want to change my DNS address, should I change it on the router itself or may I change it in the iMac's System Preferences?

Sorry to be a bother.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@SpeedThreewrote:

I have just read a closed thread on changing one's DNS on an Actiontec modem/router.

I have one iMac and two MacBook Pros on my LAN, all running High Sierra.

I know that I can change my DNS on these computers, one by one, by going to System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS and inputting the primary & secondary addresses of the new DNS.

My question is, will these changes be "respected" by the Actiontec or will the Actiontec ignore them and use the DNS settings it has in its settings?

Many thanks.

With respect to my pal Smith6612 changing the DNS on the router should effectively set it for all devices using that router. Now my wife uses an iMac but we don’t change the DNS so I cannot say for certain if you change the DNS on the devices if the router will not override your changes. 

You could try changing both router and devices to see if that achieves what you are trying to do. Worst case is after you change it on the macs it doesn’t connect. Simply change it back.

this is just an idea. 

SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

I have been reading all over the place on how to change the DNS settings on the Actiontec router and somewhere found these instructions.

To change the DNS addresses used by the router, log in to the router, click on the globe icon to get to the network stats page, then click on the link at the top of the column that corresponds to your WAN connection.

Scroll down and click on Settings, then ensure the DNS Server is set to Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically, then click Apply.

When you view the status page with the new Verizon DNS addresses, you will see the last octet is .12. If you want to get RFC-compliant DNS service, make a note of the addresses, then go back into Settings, then change DNS Server to Use The Following Addresses, and enter the same address except make the last octet .14

I have been able to follow all these instructions up to the very last step.  The step that says:  you will see the last octet is .12. If you want to get RFC-compliant DNS service, make a note of the addresses, then go back into Settings, then change DNS Server to Use The Following Addresses, and enter the same address except make the last octet .14

When the instructions say "go back into settings", can anyone tell me precisely which page on the router this would be?  I looked everywhere for something ending in the  octet number .12 to change to .14, but could not do so.

My continued thanks to folks for their willingness to help and their patience.

0 Likes