Changing from coax to ethernet for internet
efaust70
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

We are planning on getting rid of our TV/DVR and are wanting to upgrade our internet speed. We are hooked up right now via coax and from my understanding will need to replace this with ethernet. Our ONT is outside the house but has a conduit running into the basement. I've fished ethernet from the outside to the router in the basement but haven't hooked anything up yet.

I chatted with a rep about upgrading the speed and she kept saying that they'd have to have a tech come as I wasn't eligible for self install. When I asked why I was told I would need to have the speed increased at the ONT. I'm guessing this means hooking up the ethernet cable but I couldn't get a straight answer out of her.

So, my question is, can I just hook up the ethernet cable to the ONT and to the WAN port of the router and then call/chat and ask to have the ONT switched from coax to ethernet? I don't think a tech has to come out and do something magical to the ONT to get it to work at the higher speeds. Or am I missing something?

thanks,

Erik

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Changing from coax to ethernet for internet
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you currently get 100/100, your ONT is capable of GPON and 940/880. You need to route an Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router, which you already have done, then chat with a service representative through social media channels such as Twitter or Facebook to switch the active connection from MoCA to Ethernet. This should be done in couple minutes. After the switching, you can upgrade the speed to 300/300 (or higher) and upgrade your plan to Mix and Match. The $149 speed upgrade fee should be waived and Mix and Match should be cheaper than your current bill. 300/300 should be $40 with debit card autopay, and 500/500 should be $60, and so on.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. This is exactly how you will have to do it. Call tech support and have them switch from MoCA WAN to ethernet WAN. Make sure the cable is connected so you can test while you have them on the line. After switching you should wait a day or two and try for a self install. If you have an older ONT you will be capped at 75/75 mbps. In that case you will need a tech to upgrade the ONT. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why don't you find out the model number, or take a picture, of your ONT and show it to us?

We can determine whether it supports GPON and/or you are eligible for "self-speed-upgrade."

efaust70
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Edg1. I've got 100/100 right now so I assume I can get the upgrade if just switch from coax to ethernet. I'll post some pictures of the ONT below in case others think I might need the upgrade.

-Erik

efaust70
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here are the pictures of the ONT. As I replied to Edge1, I've got 100/100 speed right now so I think that means I can just switch cables, but others, much smarter than I, may disagree.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you currently get 100/100, your ONT is capable of GPON and 940/880. You need to route an Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router, which you already have done, then chat with a service representative through social media channels such as Twitter or Facebook to switch the active connection from MoCA to Ethernet. This should be done in couple minutes. After the switching, you can upgrade the speed to 300/300 (or higher) and upgrade your plan to Mix and Match. The $149 speed upgrade fee should be waived and Mix and Match should be cheaper than your current bill. 300/300 should be $40 with debit card autopay, and 500/500 should be $60, and so on.