Changing the IP address for Verizon modem
sherdevine
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi! As with so many people these days, I'm trying to work remotely as the office is shut down. I am trying to connect and access files on our server, but, although I make the connection, I do not have access to the files. The IT person at my office said I need to change the IP address of my router, bc the address conflicts with the server address (or something like that). He said this has solved the problem for other staff. However, I can't figure out how to change the IP address for the modem! I've been searching online and keep getting info that either doesn't work, or that says it is not possible to change the IP address for a Verizon modem. Help??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Changing the IP address for Verizon modem
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS doesn't use modems.  It uses routers.

The public IP address assigned to your router is globally unique; that's how the Internet works.  Changing it won't solve the problem.

If you're VPN'ng into your office and they use the same LAN IP address range as the default for FiOS routers (192.168.1.x), I can see why you're having problems.  If that's the case, you'll need to change the LAN IP address range.  You need to login to the router to do this, go to https://192.168.1.1 (ignore the security warnings.)  The password is on the router's label.  Settings are under MyNetwrok, NetworkConnections, Network(Home/Office).  Try changing it to 192.168.2.x.

Note that FiOS set-top-boxes may need to be reset.  Verizon support may also reset the LAN IP address back to 192.168.1.x during debug sessions as that's the standard config.

If you're not sure what you're doing, find a network person who can help you.  Improper settings could lock you out of the router.  If that happens, you'll need to factory reset the router.

Finally, if your office really is using 192.168.1.x on their LAN and your VPN'ng into it, that's a really bad network design.  Not much you can do about it, but that's the facts.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS doesn't use modems.  It uses routers.

The public IP address assigned to your router is globally unique; that's how the Internet works.  Changing it won't solve the problem.

If you're VPN'ng into your office and they use the same LAN IP address range as the default for FiOS routers (192.168.1.x), I can see why you're having problems.  If that's the case, you'll need to change the LAN IP address range.  You need to login to the router to do this, go to https://192.168.1.1 (ignore the security warnings.)  The password is on the router's label.  Settings are under MyNetwrok, NetworkConnections, Network(Home/Office).  Try changing it to 192.168.2.x.

Note that FiOS set-top-boxes may need to be reset.  Verizon support may also reset the LAN IP address back to 192.168.1.x during debug sessions as that's the standard config.

If you're not sure what you're doing, find a network person who can help you.  Improper settings could lock you out of the router.  If that happens, you'll need to factory reset the router.

Finally, if your office really is using 192.168.1.x on their LAN and your VPN'ng into it, that's a really bad network design.  Not much you can do about it, but that's the facts.

Good Luck.

sherdevine
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you so much for your comprehensive explanation! I've decided to heed your warning, however, and not risk screwing things up. There are four people in my family, all working/going to school at home, so our dependence on the internet has exponentially increased. I'll just have to drive into the office if I need to access the files.🙁

Again, though, I really appreciate your response!

parnasm

Hey,

I tried changing the address range to 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.254 and got the following error mesasage:

The DHCP IPv4 address range does not conform to the connection IPv4 address and the DHCP subnet mask.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure you change the G1100's LAN IP address to the same subnet as its DHCP range. If you are changing your DHCP range to 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.254 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0, you need to change G1100's LAN IP to 192.168.2.x with the same subnet mask as its DHCP server.

I suggest you to open a new thread for more exposure.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes