Compatibility of fios actiontec m1424wr with gigabyte switch
Dannyaron1
Could not connect a netgear gigabyte switch to actiontec router, no light would come on when cat5 candle inserted into port. Had to use older 10/100 linksys switch. Anyone have this problem or know about it. I do not what revision the router is.
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Compatibility of fios actiontec m1424wr with gigabyte switch
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Dannyaron wrote:
Could not connect a netgear gigabyte switch to actiontec router, no light would come on when cat5 candle inserted into port. Had to use older 10/100 linksys switch. Anyone have this problem or know about it. I do not what revision the router is.

Sounds like a faulty cable.  So long as it says Cat 5 or greater it should support gigabit.

Try a different patch cord.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure the cable you're using between the ActionTec and the Netgear switch is rated to handle Gigabit connections, and the cable is also in good shape. Gigabit requires all four pairs of wires in the cable to be in good condition. You can test this by connecting a computer to the switch, and ensuring a Gigabit link is established. Another thing which could be a problem is with the auto-negotiation setting on the ActionTec router. You can typically force the ports to Gigabit - Full Duplex or 100Mbps Full Duplex. I forget where the setting for this is, but this has been known to help in these cases.

The revision of the router that you have should appear on the same sticker that has your router's serial number and default wireless key. The only exception is if you have one of the first ActionTec MI424WR routers (these looks like bricks, basically not pill-shaped), which are Rev. A and do not state the revision on the sticker.

0 Likes
Dannyaron1
Thanks. I need to check which revision. Assuming it is one of the later revisions which are supposedly Gigabyte, why wouldn't the router be compatible out of the box? I believe the cable is ok and suitable for gigabyte connections.
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The latest routers work fine with gigabit Ethernet.  I've used several different models of gigabit switches with my Actiontec rev I without any issues.

As Smith6612 said, check your cables.  Gigabit Ethernet is much more sensitive to poor cables than 10/100.  Chances are good that you've got a bum cable.  You may be able to test the cable by plugging it into two ports on your switch and seeing if they light up in gigabit mode.

If you believe it's the router, you'll need to contact Verizon to find out options to get it replaced.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Dannyaron wrote:

Sounds like a faulty cable.  So long as it says Cat 5 or greater it should support gigabit.

Try a different patch cord.

0 Likes
Dannyaron1

Faulty Cables (2 actually, both were rated CAT5) ); third one I connected.  So there yiou have it.  Thanks for the help everyone.

0 Likes