Computer is assigned incorrect IP address... Can't connect to the internet.
sbparks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I am using the Westell 7500 wireless router with the Verizon DSL service at home.  Works very well for me and my family.

This is the second time that one of the computers (HP Laptop) in our home has refused to connect to the internet.  I look at the state of the wireless connection and it says, "Connected, with local access only".  The little networking icon in the system tray shows two computers, but no 'world' symbol meaning that there isn't a connection out to the internet.  Obviously, I can't use my browser to connect to an internet site.  My computer is the only one with this issue within the house.

A little more... I bring up the DOS prompt and I see that my computer is assigned an IP address of 169.254.xxx.xxx.  All of the other devices are assigned an address of 192.168.xxx.xxx (an address in the network that they are supposed to be assigned).  So, it makes sense, my computer was assigned an address outside the range of the network that the router (and the other computers) uses and I can't use the network.

What can I do to have the correct address assigned?  Seems like I fixed this issue once before, but I did it by having someone reset my computer back to its initial state (Windows backup utility).  Is there a way to go in and reset only the portion of the computer that is affected?

I do appreciate your time and response.

Scott

Re: Computer is assigned incorrect IP address... Can't connect to the internet.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 With a computer that can access the net, with your web browser try going to 192.168.1.1

#2 If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try one of the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username/password

#3 Are you using the White and Blue or the Red and Black Firmware?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
A 169.254 address is an IP address the operating system will assign itself if it is unable to obtain information from the DHCP server inside of the Westell 7500. Does the same problem occur when you are directly connected to the router or only when connected to the wireless?
sbparks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the replies.  I was able to try a few of the suggestions.  Please comment as you are able to.

1) I tried the ipconfig /release and /renew.  After figuring that I needed to be in Admin mode these commands still didn't make a difference.  I wasn't able to tell what the results were.  The /renew command would result in the command prompt waiting and I would have to 'x' out of the command prompt.  No news here.

2) I tried using the ethernet connection off the modem as opposed to the wireless connection that I usually use.  Same problem... the ethernet adapter was assigned address 169.254.253.100.  Still not working.

3) I reset the Westell 7500 router using the reset pin on the back.  The router rebooted.  The other computers in my home re-synched, mine did not.  Still assgined the 169.254.xxx.xxx address.

4) I was able to access the router's control panel by going to 192.168.1.1 from another computer in my home.  No problem accessing or managing the router from the control panel

I am out of ideas.  Suggestions, Please.

Scott

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even a wired connection after trying to reset the device still gives you 169.254.x.x for the wired connection.

Very odd.

The only thing(s) that I can think of are:

#1 You connected your computer to another router that has the DHCP Disabled ?

#2 You did not reset the router correctly ?

a) Press and hold the reset switch for at least 10 seconds.

b) Or you need to press and hold the reset switch as you turned off and back on the power to the router.

--

#3 Once we get the wired connection to work correctly, and if the wireless connection does not work - we need to find out what firmware the router is using so we can help you better trouble shoot the wireless connection.

Is/are the screens of your Westell more like

a) http://screenshots.portforward.com/Westell/A90-750015-07/index.htm

OR

b) http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res08lyg/6100.htm

?

0 Likes
sbparks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello again.

Thanks for the reply and for trying to help.

That's one detail I forgot to mention when I posted again:  My firmware level... I didn't know what was meant by 'Red' or 'Blue'.  Now I see.

My router's configuration screen are more like the first link... The Red screens.  Does that indicate my firmware level?

I am pretty sure that I was confouned by this very same issue with this router, but with a different computer (my wife's).  We ended up performing a system restore.  That fixed things, but Gee.. Does it have to be that hard?

Stil hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
It shouldn't be that hard. Anyways, see if you can isolate the DHCP issue down to perhaps Windows Updates, bad Network drivers and especially Security Suites/Firewalls installed on the PC in question.
sbparks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for everyone's input.

So, the thought is that I should focus on my computer (Windows Vista), not the router?

Thanks for any other suggestions.

Scott

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the other computers in your house are successfully negotiating and address with the router and connecting to the Internet, the smart money would be on a problem with the specific machine which is having the problems.

kingality

I had a similar issue.

under "Network Connections - Wireless Netowrk Connection"

"Wireless Network Connection Status" "General" tab, click "Properties".

"Wireless Network" tab, click on your "preferred network" (or your network),

"your network name" Properties - "Association" tab - under "Wireless network key", check "The ket is provided for me automatically"

then try to reconnect again.

Worked for me, hope it works for you

0 Likes