Concerned about how the installation was done
SRCP

The installation was really just to run the ethernet cable from the ONT to where I need the router. I am going to set up my own router.

I'm concerned about the unions the tech used. He ran a cable from the ONT that was too short and then had to use two unions. The first one is next to a door and it's pretty unsightly and could easily be accidentally bumped into. The other one looks very fragile as the cables are exposed and "clamped"? to the sides of this union. It doesn't look very resistant. It was necessary because he left the cable basically on the ground and wouldn't have reach up to any kind of table where the router would be.

Is this standard? I don't get it. The tech asked me first if 30 feet was enough or if I needed something longer. I told him I don't know (new to this place) but to bring a longer one just in case. In the end, he used the 30 footer anyway. I didn't realize he had until he had already stapled most of it and there was no going back.

Less importantly, the cable was not stapled as flush to the baseboard as I would liked. I've done this before and I've done it better. But, the main problem is the fragility of these unions.

Lastly, I had originally been told that they could convert a phone jack in the apartment I moved into into an Ethernet jack. But the tech that came said it couldn't be done. The ONT was already installed on the wall in a utility closet by the way. 

I'm honestly not satisfied and feel like I should have done it myself. Would have been easy to just take the time to measure and get the right cable from the start.

0 Likes
Re: Concerned about how the installation was done
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SRCP wrote:

I told him I don't know (new to this place) but to bring a longer one just in case. In the end, he used the 30 footer anyway. I didn't realize he had until he had already stapled most of it and there was no going back.

Lastly, I had originally been told that they could convert a phone jack in the apartment I moved into into an Ethernet jack. But the tech that came said it couldn't be done. The ONT was already installed on the wall in a utility closet by the way. 

First of all, with due respect, how do you expect the tech to know the place better than you? If you say "don't know," you give the tech the discretion to do whatever he or she deems is necessary.

If you don't like the way the cable is done, then redo yourself. Stapled cable, no problem, just pull the staple out.

Who told you could convert phone jack into an Ethernet jack? This is possible only when the phone wiring uses an Ethernet cable. If the ONT is already installed, you could opt for self-installation. You can wire everything yourself and chat with official support to activate the service.

0 Likes
SRCP

@Cang_Household wrote:

@SRCP wrote:

I told him I don't know (new to this place) but to bring a longer one just in case. In the end, he used the 30 footer anyway. I didn't realize he had until he had already stapled most of it and there was no going back.

First of all, with due respect, how do you expect the tech to know the place better than you? If you say "don't know," you give the tech the discretion to do whatever he or she deems is necessary.

If you don't like the way the cable is done, then redo yourself. Stapled cable, no problem, just pull the staple out.

Who told you could convert phone jack into an Ethernet jack? This is possible only when the phone wiring uses an Ethernet cable. If the ONT is already installed, you could opt for self-installation. You can wire everything yourself and chat with official support to activate the service.

I don't see why it's so important for me to tell him the right cable length. I literally just moved in to this apartment. I'm not expected to accurately know the length of a cable that will go around doors and walls. That's just not reasonable. For me to know the right cable length, I would do what I expected a professional to do, loosely run different cables and get a feel for which one you need (or better yet, use measuring tape, which I expect someone working in this field to have).

He asked me if he might need longer cables than 30 feet, I say "yes, bring them just in case", he says "ok". It's hard to believe he just started stapling the 30 footer to the wall without loosely running the cables and getting a feel for if he they reached.

He also asked me for a chair, in a new apartment, I don't have furniture yet. I asked him if he had a step ladder and he says he didn't want to go down to the truck to get it. Oh well.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi SRCP,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes