Condo G3100 Capped 100mbp via Coax
dogboy3

I live on second floor condo building and the ONT box is on the first floor inside the utility room that nearby can access anyone unless the door is locked. The coax cable connects between the unity room to my unit. Due to building age, ethernet cannot be put through the wall between the utility room to the unit. The G3100 router location the living room. The tech already had 4th times visited and told me that I’m cap at 100mbp. 

Option 1: Move my router to the utility room. NOTE: Due to security concerns. I don’t want unauthorized people to plug the LAN port into my router to use the internet. Seems like I cannot find a router configured to disable LAN ports.

Option 2: Use Netgear Powerline 1200 to plug between router wan port to utility room. I had a test inside my unit to connect between devices to the router's LAN and seems like the speed is unreliable. The speed will be slowest than 100mbp.

Option 3: Will ECB7250S02 or any MoCA adapter work with ONT? 

I do not subscribe to TV services. How can I get beyond 100mbp without having a tech visit again?

0 Likes
Re: Condo G3100 Capped 100mbp via Coax
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is there any possibility of the building owner allowing Verizon to relocate the ONT into your unit? 🤔

dogboy3

Nope, I don't think HOA allows it due to age structure. I could propose to the HOA board to make some changes. I'm not certain this will work. Each building has 6 ONT hang on the wall in the utility room. Also, Verizon won't drill in the floor due to the fire code.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If their final answer is 👎, then an adapter would be the most secure option.

MoCA 2.5, I believe, supports speeds up to 1 gig. Verizon would need to switch the Internet feed from coax over to Ethernet which is done remotely. 🙂

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is quite dead-locked. You cannot get speeds higher than 100Mbps without either incurring expenses or sacrificing security.

You may need to argue with the HOA. The current coax wiring inhibits the delivery of higher speed without sacrificing quality and money.