Connect 2 Two Networks with Verizon Actiontec
Blix

I'm seeing different answers to my solution but would like to be certain before I go ahead and tamper either Verizon and/or my personal settings. So here's the situation, prior to Verizon FIOS I had Time Warner Cable/Road Runner and used by Netgear router to provide connections for all my devices (PCs, Mac, iPhone, iPad, xbox 360, ps3, printer, etc). Now that Version FIOS (tv, internet, & phone) was installed it introduced a problem.

My Netgear router (WNDR3700v2, 192.168.1.1) used the same network as the Actiontec router (192.168.1.1). Netgear was smart enough to detect the conflict and to the initiative to re-configure my whole network to 10.0.0.1. So everything worked like before. However, this introduced another problem with my Western Digital Media Player (WDTVLive; bedroom).

The wireless from my Netgear router to the bedroom is not too great so instead I had Verizon technicians install an ethernet cable betwen the study to the bedroom, however no more ports were available on the Netgear router which meant it had to be connected to the Actiontec router. There was a coaxial connection in the bedroom but said they could not use this for ethernet plus there are connections with the coaxial port in the bedroom (a seperate subject).

So the western digital is able to access the internet, however the shared drives from my PC & Mac, that's connected to the Netgear router, cannot be view by the WDTVLive and probably because the Netgear network is under 10.0.0.1 while the Actiontec is under 192.168.1.1.

So my question is how can I get both networks (10.0.0.1 & 192.168.1.1) to recognize/access each other? I'm thinking:

A)  NETGEAR PRIMARY ROUTER:  I would prefer my Netgear be the primary and disable routing on the Actiontex, however I'm concern this will impact the STBs, phone, and internet service somehow.

B)  ACTIONTEX PRIMARY ROUTER:  Somehow I feel that if I make the Actiontec the primary router and disable routing on the Netgear, the Actiontec will get overloaded with too many devices to handle, am i wrong in thinking that?

Here's additional info if needed:

MOCA:  located in livingroom, provides connection for telephone, STB, and Actiontec router which is in the study room.

ACTIONTEC:  is located in my study room and connected to the MOCA from the livingroom via coaxial cable going about 40 feet.

NETGEAR ROUTER:  Has an ethernet cable going from it's WAN port to a LAN port on the Actiontec router.

0 Likes
Re: Connect 2 Two Networks with Verizon Actiontec
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

You might get different answers because there are different solutions to your problem.

If the cable in the bedroom is the same cable as the other Verizon STBs use, you can get a MOCA/Ethernet adapter and a splitter.  This will get ethernet into the bedroom.

There are instructions on how to use a second router with the Actiontec.  One is to have two networks in your house, like you have now. The Actiontec is primary and routes to/from FIOS.  The Netgear should be secondary and pointing to the Actiontec as its gateway. I suppose you're maintaining two wireless networks, one on the Actiontec and one on the Netgear? They may interfere if they are not far enough apart.

And you can always expand the port capacity by purchasing a simple switch.  I picked up a 5-port TrendNet for 7$.

0 Likes