Connecting Fios Extender Ethernet
Dquirk901

I want to connect my extender to my Fios G3100 using an ethernet cable. I’d like to avoid drilling any holes so would it be possible to connect to the extender from the L1 or L2 spot on the ONT box ? Or is it only going to work if I connect it to the router 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting Fios Extender Ethernet
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

L1 and L2 are plain old telephone lines. Even if there are extra Ethernet ports on the ONT, you cannot use them because you need a NAT above your home network.

If you run out of weird options, E3200 also has wireless backhaul feature with a G3100. Have you given that a try?

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

L1 and L2 are plain old telephone lines. Even if there are extra Ethernet ports on the ONT, you cannot use them because you need a NAT above your home network.

If you run out of weird options, E3200 also has wireless backhaul feature with a G3100. Have you given that a try?

MetaAnalyst

I was told I could run a CAT 8 Ethernet Cable. My distance from router (G3100) to Extender (E3200) upstairs is about 60 feet so get a Cable and connect the 2 devices. Has anyone tried this? Connecting via Ethernet Cable instead of Coaxial or WiFi? 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ethernet has low ping, but the MAC/PHY in both G3100 and E3200 limit the link speed to 1000Mbps.

MoCA 2.5 over coax can provide 2.5Gbps total throughput, but has a +3ms ping.

WiFi is the least preferred method in connecting the extender.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes