Connecting G3100 to Extenders and Fios TV Boxes
RiverFalls

I recently upgraded to Fios Gigabit internet and swapped the existing router/2 extenders (G1100/WCB3000N) for a G3100 router and 2 E3200 extenders.  All the connections remain the same:  (1) the G3100 is connected to the ONT with an ethernet cable; (2) the coax output of the ONT is connected to a PDI MoCA bypass amplifier (PDI-MBA-101-A), which is connected by coax to a 6-way MoCA 2.0 splitter, which then sends 5 coax cables to various rooms in the house.  Two of the coax outputs from the splitter go to Fios TV boxes (the old Motorola ones).  Two other coax outputs go to the E3200 extenders.  I have 3 questions:

1. Is either (or both) the bypass amplifier or the splitter limiting the speed of my internet connection from the extenders? At least the splitter is MoCA 2.0, while the E3200’s are MoCA 2.5 as I understand it.
  2. Would it be better to connect the coax LAN port on the G3100 to a 2-way MoCA 2.5 splitter outputting to the two coax cables currently connected to the E3200’s (and remove those cables from the current 6-way MoCA 2.0 splitter?
  3. OR would it be better to disconnect the ONT from the splitter and connect the coax LAN port on the G3100 directly to a 6-way splitter which in turn is connected to the coax cables running to other parts of the house?  In other words, would this be better than connecting the splitter to the ONT’s coax connection?
0 Likes
Re: Connecting G3100 to Extenders and Fios TV Boxes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Optimal Internet performance would be to connect the extenders to the router using Ethernet cabling. Use of coaxial cable will limit speed.

Depending upon the length of cable runs, I would connect the router and ONT to a 2-way passive splitter. Feed to second output to the amplifier, then the main splitter and the feeds to the various rooms.

RiverFalls

Thanks.  I recognize that ethernet connections would be best, but I do not want to run new cables at this point.  What would be the best arrangement using the existing coax cables?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coax will not limit speed. MoCA 2.5 supports 2500Mbps while gigabit Ethernet tops around 1000Mbps.

I would recommend remove the amplifier from the coax and replace it with a MoCA compatible splitter. I rarely see cases where Fios TV users need amplifiers to get a clear linear TV signal.

RiverFalls

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  Does it matter if I keep the coax cables connected directly to the ONT or should I connect the coax cables to the router, which is connected to the ONT with an ethernet cable?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should have two coaxial paths available to each STBs.

1) From the ONT Coax

2) From the G3100 MoCA LAN

It does not matter how you connect your splitters, STBs, router, and ONT coax, as long as they are all connected together.