Connecting XBOX 360 wirelessly to Actiontec GT704-WG
wxman61

Help!!!   I am in the process of setting up the Verizon Actiontec GT704-WG for our neighbor.  They are using firmware 3.20.3.3.5.0.9.2.14.

We have two PCs set-up...one wired and one wireless...on the internet.  We also have their WII up and running on the internet.  However, we have not been able to get their XBox 360 up and running.

I have read on a few websites that there are two ways to configure everything to work:

1a. Set-up a static IP address on the XBox (i.e...192.168.0.100)

1b. Forward the following ports:  53(TCP/UDP), 88(TCP/UDP) and 3074(TCP/UDP) to that static IP address.

or

2a. Set-up a static IP address on the XBox (i.e...192.168.0.100)

2b. set up DMZ hosting and set it to the static IP address for the XBox.

However, I have not been been able to find any place in the Verizon Actiontec GUI where I can set up either option for the static IP address.  It appears the base GUI has an option where you can add a Lan Device.  The only selections I could find for either option in the GUI is the names of the two pcs can be selected.

How can I add this static IP address to the Actiontec GT704-WG?

Has anyone else been able to configure their Verizon Actiontec GT704-WG to connect wirelessly to a Xbox 360?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Connecting XBOX 360 wirelessly to Actiontec GT704-WG
Hubrisnxs
Legend

i don't have that particular router anymore, so I am doing a lot of this from memory, but you would not set up the static ip in the router, you would set up the static ip in your PC.   so you would open your network properties and under tcp/ip use 192.168.1.100  (don't use, .0.100)  

Then under the security tab, there is a port forward section,.   put that same ip in there, but also under protocols - hit show all protocols and they should have a xbox profile already built in.    you select that and hit ok or save, and you should be golden.   give that a whirl. 

0 Likes
wxman61

Thank you for your reply.  However, there is still some confusion on my part.

How does setting up a static IP on the PC help me connect to the Xbox 360 wirelessly?   Please explain.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not have an Xbox, but when they said that you setup a Static IP on the Xbox they mean like this

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm

^^

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@wxman61 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  However, there is still some confusion on my part.

How does setting up a static IP on the PC help me connect to the Xbox 360 wirelessly?   Please explain.

The static IP Doesn't help you connect wirelessly, it helps you set up port forwarding properly.   So that is step 1

Step 2 would be for you connecting wirelessly, and I am pretty sure the actiontec is already security enabled, so if it is then you would look on the router itself for a silverish sticker that has an ESSID and a WEP KEY   When going through your xbox set up you will have a list of networks to choose from, make sure what you try to connect to matches the ESSID found physically on the router, and then it will ask you for a password or a network key and that is when you put in your WEP key.   That would get you on wirelessly.

the static ip is exclusively for your port forwarding and should only really be used if once your connected to the xbox wirelessly - if it's still having trouble.   that would be when you would set up the port forwarding as I kinda described earlier.  so you put in your xbox the static ip address, and then your router will route traffic to and from it based on that ip.   mine didn't need the static ip it would connect wirelessly automatically or via dhcp, but when the network dragged or i got bad performance, that is when I went to port forwarding. 

0 Likes