Connecting a switch to a quantum gateway
TMURQUHART

I would like to know if the quantum gateway can be connected to an ethernet switch. I have run out of interfaces and I would like to connect the gateway to a 16 or 24 port switch. Please advise on if it can be done and how it can be done.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting a switch to a quantum gateway
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure. One of your lan ports on your router will go to any port on the switch all though I prefer to connect my lan port of my router to the last port of the switch for easy identification. Make sure you get an unmanaged switch and there will be no configuration required. Just plug and play. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@TMURQUHART wrote:

I would like to know if the quantum gateway can be connected to an ethernet switch. I have run out of interfaces and I would like to connect the gateway to a 16 or 24 port switch. Please advise on if it can be done and how it can be done.

I am a mite puzzled. If you have no working internet what good would a switch do?

you must have a router to obtain DNS so it would be ONT-Quantum Router WAN-switch ( in one of the available LAN ports on the router.

i have not seen a switch that connected directly to the ONT or internet but I am a little out of the mix. 😀

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure. One of your lan ports on your router will go to any port on the switch all though I prefer to connect my lan port of my router to the last port of the switch for easy identification. Make sure you get an unmanaged switch and there will be no configuration required. Just plug and play. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

One other note make sure the switch you get also has gig ports because there are 10/100 switches that will bottleneck anything that is plugged into them. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Edg1 wrote:

That was a good suggestion. I place my switch on lan 1 (mine are marked)

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks. Labeling is always a good practice. Can save a lot of time when troubleshooting. 

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes